IOC Fault 0x40007400

CinciTech

Dabbler
I have a Dell R720XD. I installed the latest version of TrueNAS and it boots up just fine. I tested out the ability to create an NFS 4.1 share and may a datastore to it in ESXi, while using the onboard PERC H710 controller. I have since disabled the onboard PERC H710 RAID controller and installed an H310 PCIE. I updated the firmware on the H310 and that appeared to have worked just fine (once I figured out that you can't boot a USB drive with FreeDOS in UEFI mode, and I told the R720XD to use BIOS boot loader). The cable that goes from the H710 onboard to the backplane is not compatible with the H310, so I bought replacement cables. The replacement cable I got is larger and impedes the case lid closing, but I'll work through that.

So I boot up TrueNAS with the flashed H310 and the new cables, and I'm getting a slew of spam messages:
Code:
Root mount waiting for: CAM
mps0: IOC Fault 0x40007400, Resetting
mps0: Reinitializing controller
mps0: Portenable NULL reply
mps0: Firmware: 20.00.07.00, Driver: 21.02.00.00-fbsd
mps0: IOCCapabilities: 1285c<SCSITaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,Transretry,EventRep...

Not sure if I need to try to reflash the H310, or I got a bad cable, or my TrueNAS install got corrupted when I disabled the H710... Can someone give me some insight on what the error messages are trying to tell me, and where do I look to troubleshoot this?

CinciTech

Dabbler
Been messing with this since last night. I tried going through the steps of the flash procedure again (https://tylermade.net/2017/06/27/ho...-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-hba-for-freenas-unraid/), but nothing has changed. I tried reinstalling TrueNAS; the bootable USB spams the same errors (attached image in case I missed anything transcribing).

Looks like I'm down to either give up on FreeNAS and try something else, or give up on software RAID and use the H710 with FreeNAS.

Any helpful tips, advice or feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201128_154218.jpg
    20201128_154218.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 136

CinciTech

Dabbler
I'm guessing that the lack of response means no one has ever run into this before... Shame, it looked like a promising system. In the meantime, I'll switch back to the H710 and run FreeNAS with the virtual disk. If someone comes up with a suggestion or solution to get the H310 working, I can always migrate everything off to separate storage and try it out.

CinciTech

Dabbler
I haven't given up just yet on this card. I found the following while looking for how to flash my card to IR mode:

Part HV52W is not showing in the part list of a T420. It is showing as validated for several workstations. The workstation version of our PERCs often use a different firmware and respond with a different device ID than the version for our servers. The cards you have show as validated for the Precision T3600, T5600, and T7600. I suggest using the firmware update on the support page of one of those systems.

I checked my card and sure enough, on the little sticker after DP/N: 0HV52W. So apparently I purchased an H310 card that came from a Dell workstation, which means that although I didn't get the H310 mini (known to use a different firmware than the H310 PCIE), I may have a similar issue. At least I don't appear to have bricked the card. But I'll be looking into flashing it back to the stock firmware and then figure out if there's an IT option. I'll report back to this thread in case someone later follows down the same path.