zvol snapshot replication not happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinny503

Dabbler
I'm posting a new thread in the relevant form to try and figure this out!

Background

I'm working with a total of three machines right now, a 2012r2, freenas0, and freenas1.

2012r2 is backing up nightly to freenas0 via iSCSI and has been working without a hitch for about a month now. I can go into the 2012 device and see and verify that the backups are being done. I can also go into freenas0 and see that space is being used, so I assume its working.

freenas1 was setup to be the target for snapshot replication from freenas0 and it works......sorta. I had my graphics lady dump a file in a CIFS folder to test the snapshoting and replication and it works! But for some reason it will not snapshot and replicate the zvol on freenas0!

I have read through many DIY's and followed everything to the letter and I am still getting nothing! I have been wondering if it has something to do with the way the windows server "hides" its backups from sight of average users"

I will attach photos of the settings on freenas0 and freenas1

Also, much thanks to Robert Trevellyan for all the help thus far!

Attachments

• freenas0 PS.PNG
    freenas0 PS.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 205
  • freenas0 RT.PNG
    freenas0 RT.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 216
  • freenas0 SS.PNG
    freenas0 SS.PNG
    57.8 KB · Views: 213
  • freenas0 VOL.PNG
    freenas0 VOL.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 207
  • freenas0 VOL.PNG
    freenas0 VOL.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 202
  • freenas 1.PNG
    freenas 1.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 221
  • freenas 1 SS.PNG
    freenas 1 SS.PNG
    59.7 KB · Views: 222
  • freenas1 VOL.PNG
    freenas1 VOL.PNG
    21.6 KB · Views: 212

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
But for some reason it will not snapshot and replicate the zvol on freenas0!
I might be wrong, but I think zvols are treated like datsets, so since you have recursive snapshots disabled, you aren't snapping the zvol, and therefore it can't be replicated.

Either enable recursive snapshots on vol1, or create a new snapshot for the zvol. And then make sure either child dataset replication is enabled on vol1 or create a separate replication task for your zvol.

skinny503

Dabbler
Depasseg,

I was told in my last thread to set the permission recursive and I did, still no replication.

I changed my SS drop down from vol1 to vol1/zvol1 and still nothing.

I have attached a picture of my current SS settings on freenas0.

Should I offer up a bounty? Anyone that helps me resolve this problem I will paypal $10 for coffee or adult beverage haha

Attachments

• freenas0 SS update.PNG
    freenas0 SS update.PNG
    20.3 KB · Views: 221

skinny503

Dabbler
So I just checked my errors and saw this. it looks like I need to do some configuring on freenas1 and it might work? thats a job for first break time so I can hide in my server room and be left alone :D

Attachments

• freenas0 errors.PNG
    freenas0 errors.PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 209

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Yep - create dataset1 on the destination. Good luck. And you might want to consider renaming your systems so they aren't the same. having "vol1" in multiple places can get confusing down the road when you forget what you've done.

skinny503

Dabbler
depaseg,

This is why documentation is key! gotta put that "technical writing" class to good use since the government paid so much for it......

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
:smile:

skinny503

Dabbler
I created a zvol1 in freenas1. The error now reads

• CRITICAL: Dec. 6, 2016, 4:24 p.m. - Replication vol1/zvol1 -> 192.168.2.86:vol1/Dataset 1/zvol1 failed: Failed: cannot open 'vol1/Dataset 1/zvol1/zvol1': dataset does not exist

Is there something im missing here?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
you are missing the zvol1 sub dataset on the destination.

skinny503

Dabbler
So I have corrected the error I believe but its still not working? I will attach pictures of the error, the snapshot replication on freenas0 and the storage on freenas1

skinny503

Dabbler
So as far as I can tell everything is set up correctly. Any insight?

Attachments

• freenas0 error.PNG
    freenas0 error.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 216
  • freenas0 replication.PNG
    freenas0 replication.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 210
  • freenas1 storage.PNG
    freenas1 storage.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 212

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I would advise against using a space in a dataset name. And have you verified that the dataset on pull exists?

skinny503

Dabbler
I was able to get the error to go away last night after reading a few forum post and a few different versions of the FreeNas manuals. So the error is gone and everything is working for replication.

The problem still exists that its either not backing up the zvol (which I dont think is the issue) , or something is hidden about the windows updates and its not copying them..... So frustrating right now.

I'm sure this is not an uncommon setup having a windows server backup via iscsi to a freenas then replicated snapshots but who knows. I wish I could just pay the hour of labor for the IX people to configure it for me so I can get on to other pressing matters

Status
Not open for further replies.