Zpool Migration Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

0x4161726f6e

Dabbler
Wanting more storage (and I don’t need IOPS) I migrated from a Zpool raid 1+0 with 6 HDDs to a raidZ2 with 7 HDDs. About a week after doing so (while on vacation) 2 HDDs come up as failed and all drives have read and write errors. When I VPN in, the system tells me something along the lines of not being able to communicate with the drives. In a panic I shutdown and pray to the storage gods that everything is fine. The shutdown had to be forced.

I get home from vacation, boot the server up, all drives register. There are some checksum errors but all read/write error counts are 0. Scrub, 2 HDDs have checksum errors and “failed”. I note which drives (da2 & da4), clear, and scrub again; everything is clean with 0 read/write errors. Maybe a false positive, I trust the drives to be ok.

Next day (about 12-14 hours later), a third HDD (da3) has 9 read, 96 write, 0 checksum, and “failed”; maybe the drives are OK but something else is wrong. I’ll try turning off spindown under advanced power management (set to 128) for all drives, even though this was never a problem. Scrub again because I can’t do much remotely; it comes back clean. But instantly the same HDD fails with 3 read errors.

TLDR: 3 out of 5 new drives are failing, and server was rock solid before changing/adding drives and changing Zpool configuration.

System:
FreeNAS-11.1-U4
Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3 @ 3.1GHz
ASRock E3C224D4I-14S
32 GB DDR3

Old Zpool: stripe across 3 mirrors
Mirror of 2 2 TB WD Reds
Mirror of 2 3 TB WD Reds
Mirror of 2 3 TB WD Greens

New Zpool:
RaidZ2 with 5 4TB WD Reds (all new drives) and 2 3TB WD Reds from old pool

Of the noted failures only new drives have failed.

Are my new drives failing or is something else wrong? What should I be checking?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Can we see a complete
Code:
smartctl -x -qnoserial /dev/da3
(please use that command exactly), posted to say, pastebin?

Also, that board has at least 4 regular SATA ports on it. You should be using those ports before you attempt to use the other ports. One test you might perform is to see when the drive(s) in question are moved to the other set of ports, if the problem follows the drives or not.

0x4161726f6e

Dabbler
That provided a lot of information. I have attached the output as a text file.

Should I be leaving the system up or shutting down when not troubleshooting?

Thanks

Attachments

• smartctl_da3.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 232

sretalla