ZPool DEGRADED, CIFS shares inaccesible

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledneck

Cadet
My system lost a drive and the zpool was degraded - then we lost power for a few hours and since then I haven't been able to access any of the shares on my system. I haven't really tried anything yet in fear of losing data - figured I should get some guidance first.

The setup: a few years ago I wanted a shared drive in the house to hold pics, music, etc. Decided to try FreeNAS and I already had an ESXi host set up so I put it there. In researching my current issue, I realize that virtualizing probably wasn't the greatest idea.... Also realized I probably should have researched a little more before setting this thing up, but for a few years it has worked.

Version: FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64 (8288)
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 8 GB
Storage: 5 x 2TB WD Blue (minus 1 now)

ZPOOL STATUS:
Code:
  pool: DATA
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas exist for
  the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
  see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
 scrub: none requested
config:

NAME  STATE  READ WRITE CKSUM
  DATA  DEGRADED  0  0  0
  raidz1  DEGRADED  0  0  0
  gptid/b3255c3d-1fcd-11e1-a196-000c290b9aa0  ONLINE  0  0  0
  gptid/b350573d-1fcd-11e1-a196-000c290b9aa0  ONLINE  0  0  0
  gptid/b38a7441-1fcd-11e1-a196-000c290b9aa0  ONLINE  0  0  0
  gptid/b3c10a0f-1fcd-11e1-a196-000c290b9aa0  ONLINE  0  0  0
  1564723210867582813  UNAVAIL  0  0  0  was /dev/gptid/b3eb7919-1fcd-11e1-a196-000c290b9aa0

errors: No known data errors

The odd part is I would have expected the shares to still be accessible in a degraded state, since the pool hasn't 'failed.' I feel like the data is there - in the web GUI if I edit one of my CIFS shares and click 'Browse' I can navigate the folder structure.
At this point I have a backup of -most- of the data, but I am missing some of the newer stuff and would really like to save it if possible. My main goal is to get the system operational if possible and copy off the data, then re-build a new system after more research.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For future reference, ensure that the original formatting gets copied over to the forum. The indents are critical (though in this case, we can understand what the pool layout is).

Clearly, the pool is still capable of functioning, so you have a different issue that's keeping the shares from working.

As a first step, I'd get whatever data you need to grab off the server. SFTP, moving everything over to local external storage, take your pick.

Last edited:

sledneck

Cadet
Ah, didn't notice the formatting got lost when I copied it in.

Thanks for mentioning SFTP - I was too concerned with the whole 'problem' to remember to try another method - I'm grabbing everything off the server today. Will post back when it's complete.

sledneck

Cadet
Update - I got everything copied off. Since the data was there and the shares configuration has worked for a couple years, I decided to just try restarting the CIFS service - voila! Now I just have to replace that drive. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.