zfs send | receive creates mounts

seldo

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm new here as I am working on moving my personal system fro, NAS4Free (11.0.0.4) to TrueNAS.
To move my files from one system to another, I will be using my backup drive to replicate the content & structure from my RAID 10.
That is because I will have to destroy my mirror and the vdevs because I originally made 2 vdevs with one drive each.
(I guess I could also import one drive, copy to the content to the new vdev and build the mirror after... anyway... I have something I'd like to understand nonetheless!)

I connected my backup drive to a VM running TrueNAS. That's only for testing purposes.
The idea is to verify that TrueNAS will be able to read and import the content from my previous system.
However, I am facing issues with too many mounts, much more than what I was expecting!

All commands & results below are from TrueNAS.
The content has been created on NAS4Free.
I believe I would have had the same issue if creating/working with the pool on FreeNAS/TrueNAS.

Now onto my problem:
I was only expecting one mount: BACKUP_POOL => /mnt/BACKUP_POOL
Instead, I also have many other mountpoints/filesystems (?) that I believe I created by the zfs send | receive command.
I never created any filesystems other than the pool itself (BACKUP_POOL).
My main pool is called MAIN_POOL, and it is a mirror of two vdev with one disk each.

Here are my questions:
  1. Is this expected? Why do I see so many mounts?
  2. How to view what will mount?
    1. I understand that filesystems on the pool are mounted
    2. I guess that since MAIN_POOL is a filesystem, this property is kept, hence the multiple mounts.
    3. However, zpool list doesn't show any.
  3. How to manage this?
  4. How to do backup/replicate better to avoid such a mess?
    1. I will most likely keep the same structure, in the future, but creating a few filesystems inside the MAIN_POOL
Here's what zpool tells me:
Code:
root@truenas[~]# zpool import
   pool: BACKUP_POOL
     id: 4404527925045269142
  state: ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool.
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier, though
    some features will not be available without an explicit 'zpool upgrade'.
 config:

BACKUP_POOL  ONLINE
      da0        ONLINE

Here are the pools as seen by TrueNAS:
Code:
root@truenas[~]# zpool list
NAME          SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
BACKUP_POOL  5.44T  2.21T  3.22T        -         -     0%    40%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
boot-pool    15.5G  1.16G  14.3G        -         -     0%     7%  1.00x    ONLINE  -

Here are my mounts:
Code:
root@truenas[~]# zfs mount       
// system drive mounts are removed
BACKUP_POOL                     /mnt/BACKUP_POOL
BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs/MAIN_POOL  /mnt/MAIN_POOL
BACKUP_POOL/second_snap         /mnt/BACKUP_POOL/second_snap
BACKUP_POOL/MAIN_POOL_BACKUP    /mnt/BACKUP_POOL/MAIN_POOL_BACKUP
BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs           /mnt/BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs
BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs/MAIN_POOL/personnel  /mnt/MAIN_POOL/personnel
BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs/MAIN_POOL/guest_fs  /mnt/MAIN_POOL/guest_fs
BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs/MAIN_POOL/photovideo  /mnt/MAIN_POOL/photovideo
BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs/MAIN_POOL/photovideo/photo_incoming  /mnt/MAIN_POOL/photovideo/photo_incoming
BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs/MAIN_POOL/photovideo/photos  /mnt/MAIN_POOL/photovideo/photos
BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs/MAIN_POOL/photovideo/videos  /mnt/MAIN_POOL/photovideo/videos

Here's my pool history:
Code:
root@truenas[~]# zfs history BACKUP_POOL
History for 'BACKUP_POOL':
2017-05-12.03:28:43 zpool create -m /mnt/BACKUP_POOL BACKUP_POOL /dev/da0.nop
2017-05-12.08:49:51 zfs receive BACKUP_POOL/MAIN_POOL_BACKUP
2017-05-15.17:51:20 zfs receive BACKUP_POOL/second_snap
2017-05-16.16:51:28 zfs receive BACKUP_POOL/backup_fs/MAIN_POOL
2021-01-03.04:36:35 zpool export -f BACKUP_POOL

Thanks for welcoming me here.

Looking forward to your answers!
Seldo

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I was only expecting one mount: BACKUP_POOL => /mnt/BACKUP_POOL
Every dataset (including the pool root dataset which you say you expected to see) has the potential to have a mountpoint defined

When you replicate a dataset with zfs send | recv, you get an exact copy, including the attributes (one of which is mountpoint)... if you sent multiple child datasets with the -r option, their attributes are also transferred, so you will have as many mounts as datasets.

Using the Advanced GUI to create a replication task, you can opt out of specific attributes if you wish (although you would then later need to set those for each dataset to ensure your restore would work as expected.

I understand that filesystems on the pool are mounted
Every dataset is its own filesystem.
have a look with zfs get all BACKUP_POOL and zfs get all BACKUP_POOL_backup_fs
and compare the results. All of the listed attributes for each dataset are able to be set (maybe not after creation in some cases and not by you directly in others... like "mounted", which is system controlled) uniquely for that dataset

I guess that since MAIN_POOL is a filesystem, this property is kept, hence the multiple mounts.
It's a dataset with children, so if you replicate recursively, you get them all.

However, zpool list doesn't show any.
You might find what you're seeking with zfs list

How to manage this?
It depends what you ultimately want to see and how you intend to operate in case of a restore.

I would recommend either not being bothered by the additional mounts, or not replicating the mountpoint attribute (and in both cases I recommend using replication tasks rather than the command line as playing with attributes is a pain in CLI)

Since the original source is non-TrueNAS, it's going to be messy, since TrueNAS has middleware setup that helps with this exact problem, but can't do the work if it's not called.

seldo

Dabbler
Every dataset (including the pool root dataset which you say you expected to see) has the potential to have a mountpoint defined

When you replicate a dataset with zfs send | recv, you get an exact copy, including the attributes (one of which is mountpoint)... if you sent multiple child datasets with the -r option, their attributes are also transferred, so you will have as many mounts as datasets.

I wasn't aware of all the attributes as part of the exact copy. However that makes sense reading it.
As for the datasets to get their attributes transfered, that's only if the dataset was of type file system in the first place, right?
So having
Code:
pool/not/an/fs
would only expose pool
But having
Code:
pool/fs1/fs2
would expose pool fs1 fs2

I will have to look at MAIN_POOL history's tomorrow to figure out what I did with the filesystems: what is one and what is not.

Every dataset is its own filesystem.
have a look with zfs get all BACKUP_POOL and zfs get all BACKUP_POOL_backup_fs
and compare the results. All of the listed attributes for each dataset are able to be set (maybe not after creation in some cases and not by you directly in others... like "mounted", which is system controlled) uniquely for that dataset

It's a dataset with children, so if you replicate recursively, you get them all.

You might find what you're seeking with zfs list

Your answer answers my question: it shows my all the mountpoints on my pool
What I was not understanding was why specifying the pool zfs list BACKUP_POOL was then only showing BACKUP_POOL and nothing else.
What I missed was the -r as in zfs list -r BACKUP_POOL

As for setting attributes such as mountpoint if I decide to not replicate them, I found an example there: Managing ZFS Mount Points

It depends what you ultimately want to see and how you intend to operate in case of a restore.

I guess I was first attracted to saving the data at first, since once it is lost it is gone.
I was kind of keeping the restore part for the day it would really happen... hence currently missing the end of the story.

That's a good question though, and I have to say:
I don't know
Or rather:
I want to get my data back
but that would be it...
Let me search for information on the restore part!

Using the Advanced GUI to create a replication task, you can opt out of specific attributes if you wish (although you would then later need to set those for each dataset to ensure your restore would work as expected.

I would recommend either not being bothered by the additional mounts, or not replicating the mountpoint attribute (and in both cases I recommend using replication tasks rather than the command line as playing with attributes is a pain in CLI)

Since the original source is non-TrueNAS, it's going to be messy, since TrueNAS has middleware setup that helps with this exact problem, but can't do the work if it's not called.

My question came from seeing that I had MAIN_POOL mounted as /mnt/MAIN_POOL on the VM where only BACKUP_POOL is physically connected.
This made me freak out:
  1. why is MAIN_POOL mounted and how (that's what you've been answering above)
  2. on my NAS, when both pools MAIN_POOL and BACKUP_POOL are present an mounted, what does /mnt/MAIN_POOL connects to?
    I will check that tomorrow as it is getting late for starting a new activity of this type.
Regarding #2: I am fine having mountpoints attributes replicated if:
  1. they don't cause me trouble in my daily usage (as in: what is behind /mnt/MAIN_POOL ?)
  2. they are set in a way that make me do a restore without pain
As I will move to TrueNAS, I will use the replication tasks (and will read the doc before) and it should all fit in.
In the meantime, I will format BACKUP_POOL and replicate it with only one snapshot just to have a 1:1 for the time of the migration.

sretalla