ZFS scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

danzi

Cadet
I hope this becomes a sticky and some of the more advanced users would contribute.

I was hoping to start/create a thread about ZFS scenarios - I could not find a similar post.

When it comes to ZFS one would definitely feel more safe creating resilient arrays with RaidZ2 config than multiple mirror VDEVs in the same pool.

Suppose one has 5 disks, mixing a mirror and a 3 disk RaidZ1 in the same pool would be like mixing tuna and chicken in the same ceasar salad. A no-no.

Some newbie configs still might include this.

SCENARIO 1:
3x 1.5 Tb disks - I would use a RaidZ1 - most likely with a cloud backup for really important suff. One disk

SCENARIO 2:
6x 2 Tb disks - RaidZ2 would make more sense than 2 3 disk raidZ1 VDEVs as you could fail any 2 disks with the former while only 1 of each group of 3 in the latter.

SCENARIO 3:
2x 2Tb disks - Mirror might give resiliency, but if drives are larger than 2 Tb it could be that investing in a 3rd disk of the same capacity is better? I am not an expert here.

Other scenario recommendations are welcome.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, we don't have a "sticky" for this because there is always a plus and minus with EVERY configuration. So building for your exact need is critical. There is no "one size fits all" approach to ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.