Howto do Mirror with 4 drives

Longreen

Cadet
Hi, new to Freenas (but not new to storage etc)

Have 4 x 10 TB drives and want to have a miror that should give me around 18 TB space, but the wizzard in 11.2 GUI always shows me 9 TB free like its ignoring 2 of the drives. Read something about creating 2 x mirrors and striping them etc, but dont feel comfortable i do it right then.

Why is there no wizzard in the GUI for 4 x HDD in Mirror (2 x 2) when all other options is represented in the wizzard ?

WHere can I find clear and concise explanation how to use 4 disks in mirror with the new 11.2 GUI without having to read 100 pages first ?

Other question, everyone in these forums seem to look at RaidZ1 as NONO because long rebuild time on large HDD and it could happen You loose the 1 redundant drive during this rebuild, but at same time same people say RAID is absolutely not a backup, so If i make daily backups why then is RaidZ1 so bad ? (i would only loose data since backup from day before in worst case scenario)

Mlovelace

Guru
The Pool Manager in the new UI is dog sh!t, IMHO. I would suggest switching over to the legacy UI and using the volume manager to create your storage pool. I've included a screen shot example of how to achieve the pool design you're after.
mirrors.JPG

danb35

Hall of Famer
I agree that the old GUI makes this easier, but it's certainly do-able in the new one--and you can directly control which devices are in which vdevs, which is a point in favor of the new GUI.

danb35

Hall of Famer
How do You even get to this point in the new GUI ? where its split in 2 sets on the right hand side ?
Click the "Add Data" button at the bottom.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Why?
Click the "Add Data" button at the bottom.
How did anyone come to the conclusion that, "Add Data," should be the button name.
I don't think that is clear.

danb35

Hall of Famer
How did anyone come to the conclusion that, "Add Data," should be the button name.
Other adjacent buttons are "add cache" and "add log", so in context, I took the buttons to be meaning the types of vdevs that would be added. My guess was right, but I agree it's not very intuitive.