SOLVED ZFS pools missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oko

Contributor
During the replication of ZFS data set from a FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 onto TrueOS 10.1.1 box I noticed that ssh has timed out. Soon after I noticed TrueOS server (target) went down. I found server in kernel panic mode apparently complaining about SAS adapter. TrueOS box which panicked has a SAS adapter capable of 24 HDD (I have only 12 HDD attached which was creating some problems due to SAS logic. I had to move HDD from 0:5 bay to 0:23 bay to be recognized). The TrueOS server in question utilizes HBA LSI SAS 9211-8i. HDD are connected to HBA via SAS adapter as otherwise I would not be able to use 12 HDD.

After the reboot I noticed that boot ZFS pools I created

/storage1

and

/storage2

are missing while storage pool /tank is correctly mounted. Note that in reality /tank consist of one 32GB SSD HDD.

The missing ZFS pools consist of 6x3TB (storage1) and 6x2TB(storage2) HDD. I was very concern initially because I have only 12 GB of RAM (I tried adding 12GB more but was not recognized because it is different type). However things seems to be working OK. I replicated successfully data set of 3TB onto /storage1 and I was almost done replicating another data set to the same storage pool.

Can somebody point me how to look for missing ZFS pools? I have
Code:
zfs_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf. Was it a wrong thing to try to replicate second data set onto the same ZFS pool?

The only purpose of this server is to hold backup data. So after initial replication the load should be near zero.

Thanks.

Oko

Contributor
I got to the bottom of this. While inspecting /usr/local/etc I noticed that smartd.conf file was missing. That was rather odd as I know for the fact that I edited the file and smart daemon was working. I checked short smartd tests on HDD just to make sure I am not crazy and long story short smart test were there. That gave me the clue that TrueOS was booting different version of OS. By default TrueOS boots into the pre-crash version of OS. I rebooted the machine and selected the version of OS that was running during the crash and long story short everything was there. smartd.conf was there but more importantly zpools were there and they were healthy and happy. The only missing thing was a replicate of a data set which was streaming from FreeNAS box to this box right before the crash.

I also noticed another interesting thing which might be interested as a matter of general knowledge for FreeNAS users. I installed TrueOS 10.1.1 on ZFS root residing on SSD HDD similar to typical FreeNAS 9.3 installation. I was surprise to find out that by default

of /tank/usr/local/etc are not taken unlike /tank/var/log or /tank/var/tmp. Maybe I am missing something since /tank/ROOT is mounted as / and I can see .zfs and snapshot directory but nothing in it.

TrueOS and FreeNAS are really, really cool storage products!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.