ZFS native encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayG30

Contributor

JayG30

Contributor
There was a small bit of discussion about this here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/full-disk-encryption-in-freenas-11.56984/

Not sure about the timetable @Arwen suggested in that thread - I'm just not in-the-know. However, even if FreeNAS released it tomorrow, I would likely wait at least a year before using it in production.

I hope there is work being done on the BSD side. Certainly a concern for production, but the only way you really get something to a proven production status is to get it out there and into the hands of users. The longer you push off "introducing it" even in alpha stages the slower it will take to ever get it to production grade.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There are a few points that need to be addressed before this becomes available on FreeBSD:
  • Upstream wants some experience with ZFS on Linux before merging
  • There are still a few issues that need fixing in the upstreamed version
  • Once everything is in place upstream, it needs to be adapted to FreeBSD, ideally making use of FreeBSD's crypto framework
Allan Jude has looked into that last part and there are some questions to be addressed (including the fact that FreeBSD is missing one of the crypto options available in the Linux version of this work), but he has said he's going to need help.

Arwen

MVP
My guestimate time frame is basically the same as @droeders thought.

@Ericloewe, if I understand it correctly, Tom Caputi is developing it for illumos. So theoretically Linux would be the 2nd of the 4 core OSes of the OpenZFS project. Though perhaps he has not merged the ZFS encryption back into illumos yet. The crypto part is actually kind of interesting. It appears that work on both FreeBSD and Linux is called for, since they both have odd handling of kernel based crypto. If I remember correctly, the new replacement to SPL, (Solaris Porting Layer), module will have the crypto calls in it. Thus, taking care of both FreeBSD and Linux access.

Even if released to FreeNAS, it should be listed as a feature in test, use at your own risk. Maybe add a GUI popup that forces user to type in some thing like I know it's testing. Then keep it that way for a year. Only after it seems stable, remove the feature in test warning for FreeNAS, and port it to TrueNAS. But, hey no one listens to me :).

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
if I understand it correctly, Tom Caputi is developing it for illumos
No, he's doing his work on Linux. That's where it's upstreamed from. The upstreaming work is mostly parallel, lagging behind a bit.

Even if released to FreeNAS, it should be listed as a feature in test, use at your own risk. Maybe add a GUI popup that forces user to type in some thing like I know it's testing. Then keep it that way for a year. Only after it seems stable, remove the feature in test warning for FreeNAS, and port it to TrueNAS. But, hey no one listens to me :).
It'll be interesting to see how well it works on Linux, now that it's been merged.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in ZFS. He did his homework and the presentation is excellent, despite the complicated nature of the topic.

Stux

MVP
I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in ZFS. He did his homework and the presentation is excellent, despite the complicated nature of the topic.

Fantastic presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.