ZFS Dataset ate my existing data + How best to organise folders for different permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alieg

Dabbler
I delved into the world of FreeNAS over the past week; built my machine from spare parts and have been spending some time getting my head around how I want to use it....

Today I wanted to create some folder permissions, so only I could have full control of the files, and any other users could access the media but not view my document archive and not accidentally delete anything.

So I created a few zfs datasets, so I could edit permissions in the GUI, for the existing folders I already inside the main volume. I was kinda hoping they would merge with the folder of the same name... of course it didn't and now the folders appear empty.

I did come across pretty much the same post, & the OP was told the data was lost... however, when I map the NAS in windows, it still shows the 200GB as being used up space - so the data is still there but it's been jettisoned into the ether????

Capture.JPG

I'm not particularly bothered about losing the data, I only copied it across & I figure its best to learn these lessons now before during a 'practice run' before I start using properly using the NAS with the 2TB HDDs that I'm going to attach next week

As it did take several hours to copy across & for future reference, I'd like to know into which quadrant of the known universe my data has wormholed off to, plus I'd rather not lose the 200GB of space just because I can't view the files anymore.

Regardless of whether it is recoverable, which is best to do as a way to organise all the files:
1. create a folder architecture from Windows under a single parent volume, and create folder permissions in Windows
2. create different ZFS datasets for different categories of files, i.e. Media, Archive, Software packages

Also, how do you change your login to a network drive via windows, I'm planning on setting up a generic user account or use anonymous login for my family's other PC's & devices, but I still want the option to change the login to admin from any pc if I need to

titan_rw

Guru
It did exactly what you asked it to do. It created a dataset (which functions exactly like another filesystem), and mounted it over top of the existing folder. This doesn't touch the original folder however, it just 'hides' the contents.

See: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/m...reating-a-dataset-need-consoling-advice.8681/

Basicaly, unmount the new zfs dataset.

Old files are accessible. Move (rename) old directory to something else.

Remount new zfs dataset.

Move files from old directory to new dataset.

alieg

Dabbler
Wey hey, that was easy enough, thanks, I guess I'm too used to windows asking "are you sure you really want to do that" all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.