Your opinion on this build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corben

Cadet
Hello, i like to know your opinion on the following build. I´m sure it will work, but before i buy it can´t hurt to ask.

The basic plan is Raid6-like software raid (for double parity) using the ZFS file system, data protection and expandability are my primary concerns.

Board: Supermicro X10SL7-F retail
CPU: i3 4160 2x 3,60GHz
RAM: 2x 8GB; Crucial DIMM 8GB ECC DD3-1600
System HD: 1x SATA 6G; Corsair CSSD-F60GBLSB 60 GB (Don´t like USB-Stick as system drive)
Storage HD: 4xSATA 6G; 2x WD 4TB Blue and 2x WD 4TB Red (The Blue disks i have on stock)
PSU: 400W (Either passive or active, depends on availability)

The system HD will be connected with a SATA3 cable to the SATA3 port and the storage HD's will be connected with SATA3 cables to the SAS ports.

Suggestions and criticism are welcome

Seems fine to me.

If you will be adding drives, you may wish to consider a larger power supply.

Cheers,
Matt

Cicatrize

Explorer
Any reason you're going with the X10 instead of the newer X11 boards? I'd personally recommend that instead. As for the RAM, make sure it's not registered ECC. You'll need UDIMMs. Other than that, everything looks fine. PSU is OK too, IMO. I use a 400W in my backup FreeNAS, and that has 8 drives.

GBillR

Contributor
Any reason you're going with the X10 instead of the newer X11 boards? I'd personally recommend that instead. As for the RAM, make sure it's not registered ECC. You'll need UDIMMs. Other than that, everything looks fine. PSU is OK too, IMO. I use a 400W in my backup FreeNAS, and that has 8 drives.
I would wholeheartedly agree. The X11SSM-F is $209, and the i3-6100 is $109. No reason to buy the old hardware right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-M...=UTF8&qid=1490299989&sr=8-1&keywords=x11ssm-f
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...aps&field-keywords=i3-6100&rh=i:aps,k:i3-6100

Status
Not open for further replies.