Yes another Newbie

E.Marquez

Dabbler
And worse, though a decently accomplished computer user, never built one before.

So here we are...another new FreeNAS user...Im Erik, Im here because I will never lose data again......had a lap top hit the ground last week...hard drive failed at next boot, data recovery place says read write head failed, for just $880 we can give you a 90% chance of all data recovery ..... What a choice lose almost a TB of business, family, work pics and vid, documents ect, or pay almost $900 for a 90% chance the new read head installed will get them enough work time to image the platters. But wait, just install that back up you have been doing several times a week.....Oh you mean the one that is corrupted and wont load??? That one? NEVER AGAIN.

So that is why Im here, never again... new lap top is filled with a 2TB SSD, so that a start and being backed up daily to an external SSD while I figure out this NAS thing. I've been a NAS user for 20-25 years, military systems and civilian so I understand from that POV.... Even admin'ed a sever & network a few times, but just from the user interface side of things..

I got some great help from a local electronics store who shall remain nameless, as he was TRYING to help..but started me on the wrong path...

This site has already been a huge assistance with the
Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06

That has got to be the first read for any new FreeNAS builder....it clears up, corrects and informs the new builder, setting them straight from the free but less than great advice by "experts"
You can use any old desk top and MB you have
Any drive will work.
Use cheap memory you have from old computers if you can
Server rated hardware is a waste of money, I used stuff from old computers folks were throwing away.
------------------------
So thank you to all that contributed to the Hardware guide..it was a huge time and wasted cash saver.

OK off I go to read though another 30-35k words today,,,,and then a few more days as well till I think I understand enough to buy what I need and begin the process...of my first FreeNAS build.

“If you’re going to do it, do it right” - Author unknown