xmrig and Transmission plugin config issues after upgrade to 11.2-u2.1

fizzgig656

Contributor
Hi all, Just updated to 11.2 u2.1 (I am a novice so i may need things explained) and thought id install new plugins using new process, Started with XMrig. I see and have read (Bug #72801) there is no GUI setup interface for this yet (is there going to be?) so i have tried the solution of opening the jail shell, i guess i can not paste into the shell? . but am struggling and now when i try to go back into the shell it wont open/im going to try deleteing the pulgin/jail and start again. can i edit the config.json for the xmrig settings manually using putty etc or windows explorer? where is it etc?
any advice please or guides?

After deleting and installing the XMrig plugin again im not getting this error to!!!
Install

[EFAULT] Exception: CallError:[EFAULT] pkg error: - pkg-static: /var/db/pkg permissions (0775) too lax Please check your network occured, destroyed xmrig.

Also Ive installed transmission and after a bit of fiddling about reset most setting as i need but i cant find where to change these setting.

1551828935094.png

Last edited:

fizzgig656

Contributor
Also can i install new plex plugin (11.2 method) without deleting 11.0 version from legacy GUI view? can they run alongside each other(or maybe old "stopped" and new "UP" ? thanks.

fizzgig656

Contributor
Ok i found this old post https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/transmission-watch-directory.68930/

Basicly for me i had to look at the old settings in /mnt/Sdata/jails/transmission_1/var/db/transmission/settings.json and opened this is putty,
then opened /mnt/Sdata/iocage/jails/transmission/root/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json again in putty,

just looked at the setting and made the changes in the new one (/mnt/Sdata/iocage/jails/transmission/root/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json)

But it doesnt work, and also noticed the download location keeps being overwritten every time the jail restarts?

ANY HELP PLEASE!!

fizzgig656

Contributor
Is there a better alternative? deludge better? is there an app that can link to it? thanks

fizzgig656

Contributor
I have managed to configure XMrig via config.json file but I am struggling to setup the jail to specific IP address. Using DHCP works fine, when i change the IP4 settings to EM1 using specific ip port 192.168.0.5 and subnet 24. leaving all other options set as is! doesnt work. can connect to API port and no results from miner so guess it can not get a connection out. and thoughts!

fizzgig656

Contributor
Were you able to resolve this?
sort of, I have 3 small servers, and one didnt want to take static IP. but are now working by unticking DHCP, VNET and Berkeley Packet Filter. all 3 have been configured via putty and editing settings.json.
I tried a few options when installing the plugin when configuring the static IP. I think allowing it to be DHCP first, let it run, then stop the jail before changing jail and setting.json.

Still hope UI is available for it soon.

Last edited:

Oriann

Explorer
Dont use old jails, its starting to get deprecated by next update I think...
Learn to use iocages, if you want to migrate jails then use same mount points as in old jail.
Setting VNET on in new jail requires setting interface to vnet0 and ipv4 gateway to your router gateway, basically pinging in jail wont work until you tick option allow_raw_sockets.

After this everything should be working. You dont need BPF so you can left it unticked. Also set always static IP address to your jails.

I reccomend though qbittorrent because it have more options.
Also its better to download qbittorrent via pkg command in your newly created jail because plugin system is kinda broken for me in freenas.
And best solution is to download qbitorrent or another packages in jail via wget or upload it with SMB and unzip tarball and move directories with files and config to your locations...you have maximum control over your app. Every app includes readme what files you need to move so try it this way if you are unsuccessfull.

Phew....and dont forget to set correct permissions and owners for app folders and rc.d scripts (this is really dissapointing sometimes)

fizzgig656

Contributor
thanks, i do unerstand comand line has more control, but for novices a nice GUI is quicker and easier, specially for little quick changes. but i do also see both fors and against using both methods.

so now trying to change setting in the jail shell. any know the config file is? also going to try qbittorrent, is there a guide to setting up, is plugin ok? is there a default user and password or is all that set in a config file before use? thanks

also got to remember its not just me using the plugin, its got to be fairly GUI for wife etc to use!!!

Last edited:

Oriann

Explorer
thanks, i do unerstand comand line has more control, but for novices a nice GUI is quicker and easier, specially for little quick changes. but i do also see both fors and against using both methods.

so now trying to change setting in the jail shell. any know the config file is? also going to try qbittorrent, is there a guide to setting up, is plugin ok? is there a default user and password or is all that set in a config file before use? thanks

also got to remember its not just me using the plugin, its got to be fairly GUI for wife etc to use!!!

Editing config in jail is executed with theese commands:

for example:
Enable vnet for the jail # iocage set vnet=on examplejail
Configure jail’s default gateway # iocage set defaultrouter=10.1.1.254 examplejail
Configure an IP address iocage set ip4_addr="vnet0|10.1.1.10/24" examplejail

You can find commands in freebsd wiki or try to search google: https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networking.html

Guide for setting up plugin depends on from where you will be configuring....you will be using just gui or you will cofigure with shell ? Anyway on google are again a lot of guides for setting this up. Most of them are pointing here to freenas forums.

fizzgig656

Contributor
Editing config in jail is executed with theese commands:

for example:
Enable vnet for the jail # iocage set vnet=on examplejail
Configure jail’s default gateway # iocage set defaultrouter=10.1.1.254 examplejail
Configure an IP address iocage set ip4_addr="vnet0|10.1.1.10/24" examplejail

You can find commands in freebsd wiki or try to search google: https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networking.html

Guide for setting up plugin depends on from where you will be configuring....you will be using just gui or you will cofigure with shell ? Anyway on google are again a lot of guides for setting this up. Most of them are pointing here to freenas forums.

Ok thanks...

seeing your reply made the think my inital assumption for IPv4 interface was wrong. IT should be vnet0 not em1!!! ive now change to this in my jail GUI settings. (though it may help someone else like me!!!)

also changing settings.json via shell or putty, you must top the jail/plugin first. think ive got it sorted now. thanks for help. its take some time for a novice like me. but got there with your help thanks.

Last edited:

fizzgig656

Contributor
Ok so transmissions looked like it was working fine but now its showing error permissions denied, for the old version/old plugin the GUI had "Downloaded Permissions: 755" not sure if this is why the new version is having the permission error and not copying from "downloading" folder to the "complete folder", cant find it anywhere (alhough my eyes are popping out of their sockets its so late!!!)

any thoughts please. makes you think "just stick with the old one"!! plus as i was getting further with transmission i havent done much in trying to get qbittorrent working. I do like now transmission has both windows app android app, all to help manage downloads.

I do get why some don't use or like plugins etc but if there no good why have the package/option for them? Surely they're there to make it easier and a little more friendly? I'll have a play setting up qbittorrent later. Need to find more info on setting it up...

Last edited:

Oriann

Explorer
For permissions inside jail we use command chown for setting user/group for folders....for example chown user:group /mnt/media
For settings permissions for user, group and others we use chmod ....for example chmod 755 /mnt/media
All commands are on freebsd wiki Here for example

fizzgig656

Contributor
For permissions inside jail we use command chown for setting user/group for folders....for example chown user:group /mnt/media
For settings permissions for user, group and others we use chmod ....for example chmod 755 /mnt/media
All commands are on freebsd wiki Here for example

but why do they need to be changed it as the old jail/transmission worked fine to these folders? Also from outside the jail folders (ie /mnt/Mdata/NewTBC for example) are already set to drwxrwxr-x+, and from within the shell of the jail it is set to drwxrwxr-x+.

So why is transmissions saying permission error. does it need to be set to 777? or is there another config file somewhere to change transmissions permission/user. I though i saw somewhere user=root ? maybe not??

I do remember some of the comand and have used a good number of them over the years, although i dont use them very often so do need to google to refresh myself.

Oriann

Explorer
Do you have SMB set up for accessing directories where you store downloaded files ? Windows permissions often break unix permissions

fizzgig656

Contributor
Do you have SMB set up for accessing directories where you store downloaded files ? Windows permissions often break unix permissions
yes it is, but like i say the old transmission jail/plugin still works and can write to files without error (i might have to test that again though) is it best to just rerun the chown and chmod anyway? current folders are root:1001 and drwxrwxr-x+ , the folder inside is set to transmission:1001 and drwxrwxr-x+. do you think its worth resetting all to root:1001 (1001 is media group) and 755?

Oriann

Explorer
So if you have SMB access to you downloaded files I had very tough times to get it run, because permissions always change when I have accessed directory. After that transmission or qbitorrent shows error permission denied and I needed to remake permissions for folder.
Try to temporarily deactivate SMB and change permission to 755 inside jail for folders that need to have access to your bittorrent app, and of course run chown for the directories also..then if it doesnt work post here log of command ls -all where you can show if you have permissions set up correctly.

Oriann

Explorer
yes it is, but like i say the old transmission jail/plugin still works and can write to files without error (i might have to test that again though) is it best to just rerun the chown and chmod anyway? current folders are root:1001 and drwxrwxr-x+ , the folder inside is set to transmission:1001 and drwxrwxr-x+. do you think its worth resetting all to root:1001 (1001 is media group) and 755?
And yes transmission downloaded permission does need to be set to 777, otherwise is didnt work for me too.

fizzgig656

Contributor
i can run chown but when i try to chmod i keep getting "operation not permitted" cant figure out why. any thoughts. SMB is off at the mo as well.

root@LTbowers:/mnt/Mdata/New_TBC # ls -all
total 4057331
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 root Media 6 Mar 12 20:28 .
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 root Media 6 Mar 12 20:57 ..
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root Media 53 Apr 21 2016 Game.Of.Thrones.Season.1-5.Complete.720p.x264-ILPruny
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root Media 3 Mar 12 00:48 Stargate SG1
-rwxrwxrwx+ 1 root Media 4150397306 Oct 23 2015 The Hobbit The Battle Of The Five Armies 2014 1080p HDTS x264 Pimp4003.mp4
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 root Media 4 Oct 23 2015 The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug (2013) [1080p]

Last edited:

fizzgig656

Contributor
After so testing it is permissions as in chmod 777 but i cant change it as i get error operation not permitted. so how can i fix this? tried chown but its already set to the same as per my test folder.
strange how it was workign fine on old transmission before upgrading so something has changed during the upgrade!

test folder
drwxrwxrwx 2 root Media 2 mar 12 23:42 NewTBC

true folder that i need to set
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 root Media 6 Mar 12 20:28 NewTBC

Is it the SMB service settings?

Last edited: