Wow, it's cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N00b

Explorer
Snow, wind chill, freezing !!! what are you guys talking about? Here's the weather report from my neck of the woods. :)
Sorry couldn't resist that. Stay warm, stay safe .

edit : That didn't go so well. Well here is the summary - you get the picture ;)
70°
Untitled.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I vote we ban all n00bs from the forum immediately and forever. :D

Let's see if he figures it out...

DJ9

Contributor
It's -47F here right now. I tossed a wet t-shirt outside and it was stiff as a board in 45 seconds. ;)

fracai

Guru
It's -2 F (-18 C) with a windchill of -20 F (-29 C), with the temperature still falling. My garage door is frozen shut (never had that happen) with my 4x4 truck trapped inside.

Sent from my phone
With the signature at the end, this reads like a dispatch from the frontlines.

It hit -6 F here in Rhode Island a few days ago, but it's mid-50s today. It's raining and all the snow is melting.

Richman

Patron
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (teeth and knees chattering so much he can't type a normal message.

Actually, all the keys on the KB were frozen except for the B and the R and the R got a wedge of ice jammed in it. Had to blow a heat gun on the rest of them and thaw them out to finish this post.:D;)

Richman

Patron
It's -2 F (-18 C) with a windchill of -20 F (-29 C), with the temperature still falling.
Sent from my phone

Really ? Its only 0° here but our windchill is -22° so we must have more wind. :p Na, na, na, na, na, naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
My garage door is frozen shut (never had that happen) with my 4x4 truck trapped inside.
Just click into 4x4 and drive through that sucker. You can do it no problem. My mom drove through hers with a Kia Sephia. (true story)
It's -18F right now with a windchill of -42F. My sister has asked me to blow some bubbles outside because they'll freeze solid before they hit the ground. :p
Where the heck do you live? The Yukon? Northwest Territory? -18° ? Good lord.
I'm sure many people have heard the story about throwing boiling water in the air and it'll freeze before it hits the ground. I threw a cup of cold tap water in the air and it definitely hit the snow before freezing. So there's 1 myth that's definitely busted. ;)
But you didn't use boiling water. I think the kinetic energy of the boiling waters helps make the water molecules separate faster as if freezes. Try it.
It's -47F here right now. I tossed a wet t-shirt outside and it was stiff as a board in 45 seconds. ;)
Oh come on. I would believe 4 minutes

With the signature at the end, this reads like a dispatch from the frontlines.

It hit -6 F here in Rhode Island a few days ago, but it's mid-50s today. It's raining and all the snow is melting.
Mid ............ -50°'s ....... that sounds like the coldest. How is the snow melting again. Oh I bet that wasn't supposed to be a negative????;) Or a hyphen maybe. Silly me. LOL I was going to say FTW but forget it.

Richman

Patron
Its so cold here, I tried to spit and it froze before it left my mouth.
Its so cold here, my furnace took a day off and didn't come to work
Its so cold here, my hair got goose bumps
Its so cold here, the red line in my mercury thermometer turned blue
Its so cold here, the ice on my side walk went and ordered itself a bag of salt just to stay warm.
Its so cold here, our city reverted to the Kelvin scale.
Its so cold here, Can you say 'nut sickles'
Its so cold here, ................ oh I think my joke maker froze........LOL

Richman

Patron
All seriousness though, I live in a house built in 1884 that still has the original windows from the 1800's. :eek: Yeh, uh huh
So when the wind blows the window panes rattle in the sashes and the sashes rattle in the sash frames not to mention the counter weight boxes that are empty allowing air to blow through. When the wind blows I have a hard time keeping it above 60°F with the 1986 furnace going non-stop and never shutting down. On a day like this when its below 0°F with the wind gusting 20-30 mph ....... well, at the least this will be interesting as I am sure it will only be 50-55° in this house tonight before too long. I am eyeing long johns and a sweater ..... and I never, ever wear sweaters. I will probably have my ski parka on in the house tonight.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO

My Freeze Frame (hey everyone post a Freeze Frame)

2014-1-7 Freeze Frame.png

Richman

Patron
Oh Hah. CJ's wrong, CJ's wrong, Hey did I mention Cyberjock is wrong LOL Wrong wrong wrong ( doing cartwheels and back flips) Woo hooo wooohoooo, whoohoooo Was just waiting to be able to say that one day. :D

Just tried the 'Throwing boiling water in the air' trick and it worked perfectly. Little bits of ice fell to the ground and the rest instantly turned into ice vapor and blew away.
Duplicated the test using cold water and it did just as Cj witnessed ...... nothing. Just a bunch of water fell to the ground just as I anticipated.
I guess I do remember some of my junior high school science class.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I want video or it didn't happen!!!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Gonna try to do the boiled water thing and gonna record it with my HD camcorder. :D

Edit: So I had about a quart of water boiling.. threw it in the air and much of it immediately turned to snow. But, the larger water blobs didn't and the fell on the snow and melted the snow about 1" deep.

Apparently the entropy and enthalpy of the water does matter for this "experiment" to work.

DJ9

Contributor
Tell you what Richman, come on over and we'll toss you outside wet and see how long it takes for you to freeze. :D

Yard art. :p

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Garden human!

Richman

Patron
Gonna try to do the boiled water thing and gonna record it with my HD camcorder. :D

Edit: So I had about a quart of water boiling.. threw it in the air and much of it immediately turned to snow. But, the larger water blobs didn't and the fell on the snow and melted the snow about 1" deep.

Apparently the entropy and enthalpy of the water does matter for this "experiment" to work.

Oh you didn't boil it right. You have to throw in a pinch of pepper and throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder.:p

Well I have to admit, I waited ten seconds till the wind was gusting about 20 mph and tossed the sauce pan of hot water about as high as my second story roof. Not a bit remained liquid when I did it. Maybe I'll try it again and video it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Richman

Patron
Well, Its officially 55°F in most of my house. Kitchen around 60° with a space heater and one stove burner going all the time. The bedroom is the only room in the house above 60° with two space heaters going which is radiation heat, with some forced air convection and.........................
um .........occasionally some friction heat. :rolleyes: hmmmm:oops:

From me rubbing my hand together ....what did you think I was talking about?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
"space heater" is code for "computer doing BOINC".

Hey Richman, you married or have a girlfriend?

rcarterii

Dabbler
For me it's currently -17F, -37F with the windchill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richman

Patron
No Freeze Frames
I guess that was a unpopular idea unless everyone has frozen pc's

Now I have that tune in my head
by
J. GEILS BAND

do, do, do, do, da doot doo dot
doot doot doot do da doot doo dot

I could see it was a rough-cut Tuesday
Slow-motion weekdays stare me down