Would this be a good idea (collecting users hardware info)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunavat2012

Dabbler
I would like to create a spread sheet with the following:

user, Case,Mboard, CPU, PSU,RAM (type,size), HD (#, size),Other critical parts(LSI/HBA cards)

Some users post more info in their .sig, but going through those signatures to construct the spread-sheet would be too much.I am sure some users are willing to share their hard work/trophy with others. If users are willing to post (or pm me ) those as comma (or |) separated line; I can easily construct spreadsheet.

What I am getting out of this? I created a Freenas server with an old computer and I am having lots of fun with it. So, before I spend ~$2000, I like to know what others have done for purely home use.

So, let me know what you think. If it is a good idea, I'll post a formal request in Hardware section.

Thank you for reading.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I would like to create a spread sheet with the following:

user, Case,Mboard, CPU, PSU,RAM (type,size), HD (#, size),Other critical parts(LSI/HBA cards)

Some users post more info in their .sig, but going through those signatures to construct the spread-sheet would be too much.I am sure some users are willing to share their hard work/trophy with others. If users are willing to post (or pm me ) those as comma (or |) separated line; I can easily construct spreadsheet.

What I am getting out of this? I created a Freenas server with an old computer and I am having lots of fun with it. So, before I spend ~$2000, I like to know what others have done for purely home use.

So, let me know what you think. If it is a good idea, I'll post a formal request in Hardware section.

Thank you for reading.

"Purely home use" might not be a relevant metric here (pfsense box is a 2U G4 DL380 - power is cheap here).

Supermicro has some nice pedestal server cases if you don't want to set up a home server rack. The price difference between getting proper server hardware (PSU, case, mobo) is not large enough to justify skimping on them. Having access to hard drives without opening the case is a huge plus.

I doubt anyone would really regret going with real server hardware for home use (except for the noise).

supermicro CSE-825TQ-563LPB 2U case | supermicro X9SCI-LN4F-O motherboard | 32GB DDR3 ECC RAM | Xeon E3-1220V2 | 6 - 4TB drives | LSI 9211-8i HBA

solarisguy

Guru
It is not a bad idea, however you had not taken into account that for some people local parts availability dictates their ultimate hardware choice. For example, I cannot locally buy Toshiba hard drives.

Not everything is being shipped worldwide. And even if it were, the cost of flying, for example, a case with PSU, plus import duties and taxes makes that market quite localized. It does not mean that there are no manufactures selling their cases on more than one continent, just some good cases are mostly local to each continent.

I think that although CPUs and hard drives are most universal, there are very different home needs. FreeNAS could be a static backup solution, a light usage (i.e. DLNA and not transcoding with Plex) media server or a very heavily used, 10G connected CIFS server used by a hobbyist for video editing.

nunavat2012

Dabbler
Thanks anodos for posting your info and suggestion. Thanks solarisguy for pointing out limitations of such info. I will post the request in hardware section in a day or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.