Windows only allows access via mapped drive as opposed to prompting for user/pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysurf76

Dabbler
I have done a couple hours of research on this and it seems to be a bit of an internet mystery. For awhile my freenas was setup in a way to where I could browse the network on any windows machine and navigate to a password protected share on my freenas box and opon attempting to open that share windows would prompt me for a username and password. After attemtping to make some changes and add a new share something got messed up in the freenas config and now the only way to access the password protected share is by mapping a network drive in windows to it and using the "login with different username" option while mapping the drive. If I attempt to browse to the share and access it windows gives an error about not having permission and network path not found.

I know I should use the mapped network drive and save myself the time and effort of trying to figure out how to get it to prompt for a username and password, but its really how I want it. I want to be able to just log in, do some things in the share, and close it and be done.

Was just curious if anyone has any info on this subject. As I said I have spent several hours on the net researching it and it seems no one has a definitive answer of what causes windows to prompt for username/password as opposed to only being able to access a share by mapping it as a network drive.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.