Windows copy to truenas: with explorer 2-4 Gbit, with robocopy can't get more than 350 mbit.

I've recently installed a 100TB Z2-raid with truenas.
Created a dataset and SMB share on it and tried to start a copy from a windows server of a test folder that was 1.5TB.

Both the windows server and truenas have 10 gbit network cards and are linked through a 10 gbit switch.
I started with robocopy, but noticed quickly that on the larger files it was copying quite slowly, it didn't reach much more than 350 mbit at max.

I did however get errors at first with robocopy about NTFS permissions and owner ID , so i changed /COPY:DATSOU to /COPY:DAT.
I also noticed that I hadn't changed the time-zone on truenas and have corrected it. And I also read about "atime", i disabled it as well.
I saved the configuration, but haven't tried a restart yet, I'm assuming that saving is enough.

However, when I just copy over the 1.5TB folder with windows explorer to the mapped freenas share, instead of using robocopy, I comfortable get between 2-4.5 gbit instead of 300 mbit.

And the folder copied in less than 2 hours.

Anyone an idea what I could try to get robocopy working at the same speed ? I don't have any issues using robocopy between windows-windows or windows-synology in terms of reaching Gbit speeds.

Thanks

Extra info :
The command I use is :
robocopy "E:\source" "R:\mapped freenas share" /XJD /R:0 /XA:SH /E /ZB /XO /COPY:DAT /MT:8

I installed the trial of GS RICHCopy 360 and that seemed to transfer at speeds of 5 gbit to 6.7 gbit (roughly 100gb in a 5 minutes).

So it has to be something to do with parameters I suppose, it's not an issue of network or either Windows nor Freenas.

Redcoat

MVP
Did you see this thread? https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/windows-server-robocopy-to-freenas-extremely-slow.79120/
I don't have any experience to share with you, I just recalled the earlier discussion as I had toyed with using Robocopy.

Yes, thank you, I did find that thread before posting. I tried the atime setting and that's also why i tried GS RICH copy trial which does seem to work correctly, but I would have preferred to not use third party software if possible. I've never had issues with robocopy being so slow.

it takes a minute for a 200 mb file, usually those fly by without even noticing they got transfered.

Disabling Sync on the dataset for the share seems to have fixed the speed issue (4.5 gbit now). I am however getting a lot of Retry exceeded, access denied on some files with robocopy, strangely though, the files with those errors, did get copied to the destination ....

Ok , not a solution, those files that had denied access , but were present, were incomplete. such as images only top 25%.

Solution found:
Someone found the fix on reddit, apparently FREENAS does not play well with the /ZB parameter. Switching it to /B made the speed jump to 5.5 gbit.