SOLVED Windows cant login to SMB but other devices can

dongfanglong

Cadet
So I was following a few youtube videos on how to setup smb in truenas. It works perfectly with my phone and tablet but my windows computer keeps saying wrong uname or password.

I have another SMB on my old nas that my new one is going to replace. I disconnected from it and removed it from the windows credential manager along with a reboot. I also ran the [ net use * /d /y ] command but it had no effect. Is there some other step that I'm missing in getting my windows computer to login to the new one?

I made the user name and password as simple and short as I could for testing but no change. I've started over from scratch a few times. I'm pretty sure the issues is with my windows computer at this point since everything else has no issue connecting to the share.

Attachments

• 02.PNG
    02.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 01.PNG
    01.PNG
    33.7 KB · Views: 187

dongfanglong

Cadet
Small update i have other windows systems that can access the share just fine. So there is something about my main system that will let it use the old nas share drive but wont let it connect to the new ones share. I tried running the network troubleshooter and it said i dont have permission. anyone have any ideas?

Did you restrict the share to a particular IP address, IP range, and/or hostname?

Does this happen when trying to connect to the share with the server's IP address? Hostname?

Can you SSH into the server from the problematic Windows computer with the same username/password?

From a PowerShell window:
Code:
ssh josh@ip.ad.dre.ss

(If you use a keypair, temporarily disable it for this test.)

Do the samba4 logs on the server reveal anything?

dongfanglong

Cadet
Ok I found the issue after spending the whole day digging through videos and google links. The solution was here

How I found the issue was enabling logging on the smb and checking them.
I did a cat on the log and found this

cat var/log/samba4/log.smbd

with [NTLMv1] status [NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD]

After doing some googling with that I found the post in the link above. If you follow the link above it says to change the value of LmCompatibilityLevel and I did that with no change. I then compared it to my other system that is working and found it didn't even have that registry entry so I just deleted it (after backing up of course) and it worked. I don't know what changed that setting on this system but it was the cause.

dongfanglong

Cadet
Did you restrict the share to a particular IP address, IP range, and/or hostname?

Does this happen when trying to connect to the share with the server's IP address? Hostname?

Can you SSH into the server from the problematic Windows computer with the same username/password?

From a PowerShell window:
Code:
ssh josh@ip.ad.dre.ss

(If you use a keypair, temporarily disable it for this test.)

Do the samba4 logs on the server reveal anything?
I solved it before seeing your post but that comment about the logs would have lead me to the answer as well. I'm still new to truenas and I didn't even think to look at the logs. Silly given I do that all the time at work.

dongfanglong

Cadet
ooook how do I mark this as solved? the instructions I find say I need a button that isn't there for me

sretalla