Windows 7 VM UNSTABLE in virtualbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

1.21gigawatts

Explorer
FreeNAS-9.2.1.8-RELEASE-x64
16G ECC RAM
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2758 @ 2.40GHz

I have set up a virtualbox jail and installed Windows 7 (both 64 bit at x86). Both of these VMs crash without any notice. The status in phpVirtualBox says "aborted" and I see no log information about a cause for this, nor do I see any log information in the windows event logs.

I'm not at all sure, but I think this may have something to do with bridged networking.

Any thoughts?

1.21gigawatts

Explorer
Now I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with the Guest Additions. I had them installed. I have uninstalled them (in safe mode), and now I'm running again, with NAT networking (I need this to run in bridged networking), but so far it looks like it's working OK.

Still, I'd like to hear some ideas...

1.21gigawatts

Explorer
Now I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with the Guest Additions. I had them installed. I have uninstalled them (in safe mode), and now I'm running again, with NAT networking (I need this to run in bridged networking), but so far it looks like it's working OK.

Still, I'd like to hear some ideas...
Well, that didn't work too well. Back to the drawing board...

D

dlavigne

Any luck with this. I don't think the vbox jail supports 64-bit but it should support 32-bit.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
the Virtualbox template supports 64-bit, but only if your hardware supports the virtualization CPU extensions.

D

dlavigne

Is that for 9.3? John told me the 9.2 one was 32-bit only...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There was no 9.2 one. There's only been one, and that one came out with 9.2.1.6. I've never released another template. I do have one on my Mini that I need to tar up and get posted for the world to consume though.

From https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/virtualbox-in-a-jail-in-freenas.20185/
CPU with Intel VT-x or AMD-V is required if you want 64-bit support for your VMs. Without one of these (and the feature enabled in the BIOS) you will be limited to 32-bit VMs only.

Status
Not open for further replies.