Will the X11SCL-IF FreeNAS?

ke5in

Cadet
I've searched and found some threads but don't see anyone saying they are running this (and no one saying it doesn't). I did note that the Supermicro OS compatibility page shows that this wasn't tested with FreeBSD...

I am extremely space constrained and all I'm looking to do is mirror two 10TB drives plus run a few scripts in a jail - maybe a VM with a desktop, as well. The M.2 slot would make a nice boot device, too, kinda saving some space but SSDs are pretty small, too.

So the question is: Anyone running an X11SCL-IF with FreeNAS? Or does anyone know of any reasons that would prevent freeNAS from running on the the X11SCL-IF?

(Sorry, I'm updating this thread because I see there is a "-F" which is Micro ATX, the "-IF" is mini ITX which is the one I'm interested in)

THANKS!

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'd be horribly shocked if it didn't work. Supermicro's stuff is incredibly compatible with almost all server applications.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The M.2 slot would make a nice boot device, too, kinda saving some space but SSDs are pretty small, too.
I remember there being some problems with booting from the M.2 slot. It works fine for storage, but SATA SSD is probably a better choice for boot.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

ke5in

Cadet
Thanks Chris, it was from reading Eric's post that I discovered the X11SCL-IF (and I should't have made the error I did above, as he clearly points out the -F and. -IF.)

Thanks jgreco, does my edit (e.i. pointing out that I'm targeting the mini ITX version) change anything?

Inxsible

Guru
Thanks jgreco, does my edit (e.i. pointing out that I'm targeting the mini ITX version) change anything?
You shouldn't if you have any plans on expanding the system down the line. mini-ITX boards have limited expandability.

kingc

Dabbler
Running 11.2 fine on an X11SCL-IF over here.