Will MAC Xserver(x86) and ewaystor fiber channel stor build FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bianjunyi

Dabbler
1、Apple Xserver xeon cpu 8G mem
2、 fiber channel 4G double ports card
3、ewaystor fiber channel stor 32T, double 4G fiber channel ports, one sas ports

I would like to build a FreeNAS.

In the process of installing FreeNAS9.10, the program error does not support ACPI.

Do I have to type some parameters when grub boots?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Guru
The Intel-based Xserves are notoriously difficult to get anything non-Apple running on them. I had a few and played around with this for a while... finally just gave up. You appear to be running into the same issues.

bianjunyi

Dabbler
The Intel-based Xserves are notoriously difficult to get anything non-Apple running on them. I had a few and played around with this for a while... finally just gave up. You appear to be running into the same issues.

Yes, there is no problem with FreeBSD installation,I think the FreeNAS kernel or bootstrap problem. Want to try NAS4FREE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 8 core (dual quad-core Xeons) Xserve 2,1 (see here) with 32G of RAM. I added a PCIe eSATA card and an external 4 bay enclosure (internally, the Xserve can only address up to 2TB drives, and only at SATA-I speeds). There are a few device.hints tweaks needed to get it to boot, which meant that I had to install to the USB drive on another computer (I used a plain-jane x86-64 desktop machine) first, and then boot once and enter in a basic setup. Afterwards I was able to edit those files. It wouldn't boot on an Xserve until I had made the edits to device.hints.

The changes to the device.hints file:
Code:
hint.ata.0.disabled="1"
hint.ata.1.disabled="1"
hint.ata.2.disabled="1"
hint.ata.3.disabled="1"

Without these, it will boot, but it will spin forever trying to test for these devices, which it will not find. This is what those errors look like:
Code:
(aprobe0:ata2:0:1:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 00 00 00 24 00
(aprobe0:ata2:0:1:0): CAM status: Command timeout
(aprobe0:ata2:0:1:0): Retrying command
(aprobe1:ata2:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 00 00 00 24 00
(aprobe1:ata2:0:0:0): CAM status: Command timeout
(aprobe1:ata2:0:0:0): Error 5, Retry was blocked

The USB, SATA and CD devices are still detected with these settings in place.

There is one optional change to the loader.conf file:
Code:
ipmi_load="YES"

With this, the IPMI settings are usable. I found that I needed to do IPMI tweaks at the command-line to get it to full functionality, but this line adds the kernel module, which adds the device.

Of note, I could not find a display that was recognized by the kernel loader after grub was done. I had to turn on the serial console in the UI before I booted on the Xserve, and then I could watch the boot process via serial console. I stuck with 9600 N,8,1 on COM1. I'm sure you could increase the speed if you like.

Other than that, it's been spectacular. I even bound the two gigabit ethernet ports via LACP (and on my managed switch), and that was working great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.