Will it do FreeNAS well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vIC

Dabbler
Hi all,
the use case is SMB (for daily office working files) with 5 to 10 users. 2 Jails for VPN and internal web service in an small office building.
I would like to run Z2 on 7 disks and boot up the system using 2 USB 8GB each. Is it wise to add write cache using a small SSD?

Silverstone DS380
Silverstone ST45SF 450W
ASRock C2750D4I
SAMSUNG 16GB 240-pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM ECC Registered
SeaGate IronWalf NAS hard drive 3TB 5900RPM 64MB cache

Will the build work? Stable?
Thanks!

P.S What about ordering those from newegg and deliver to Holland? Do they do international delivery well? Difficult to get decent stuff here.

diedrichg

Wizard
16GB boot drives (each) is recommended.

Cicatrize

Explorer
You could do an SSD write cache, but it's not really necessary. That build should be fine, but as diedrichg said, use 16GB+ boot drives. The only thing I'd say (and this is an opinion) is that you should use a separate box for VPN. You can build a cheap pfSense router which includes VPN services.

CraigD

Patron

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your RAM won't work

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Cicatrize

Explorer
Ooh, good catch on the RAM.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

vIC

Dabbler
Thank all you guys for the advice and bug catch.
Which brand of Mainboard+RAM+Chassis do you recommended?
It is an entry level server for small office of my friend.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
My first build in my signature is a good start. Or just get a Dell t20 or Lenovo ts140

vIC

Dabbler
Hi SweetAndLow, Thanks for the tip. I actually tried your first build. But it is everywhere out of stock (if not all the parts, then most of the parts)
And your current build is really over kill for my use case. I actually tried to look for several people's builds in their signature, but up till now, no luck. Either too advanced, or out of stock. For how many years you guys be doing FreeNAS boxes? last century ? :D

CraigD

Patron
TS140 additional RAM

I think you can fit 4 HDD into the TS140
Have Fun

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi SweetAndLow, Thanks for the tip. I actually tried your first build. But it is everywhere out of stock (if not all the parts, then most of the parts)
And your current build is really over kill for my use case. I actually tried to look for several people's builds in their signature, but up till now, no luck. Either too advanced, or out of stock. For how many years you guys be doing FreeNAS boxes? last century ? :D
Yeah those parts are 2 years old now so might not be available. The general idea remains the same though.

carlos juan

Dabbler
TS140 additional RAM

I think you can fit 4 HDD into the TS140
Have Fun
I have 6HDD and 2 ssd all cramped inside my ts140, how I did it? had to buy a sata pcie card and make some room, but is working rock solid since 2015.
b4de9c4a17890041ba8f2b532d020462.jpg

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.