Will creating a windows(CIFS) share, create windows ACLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
I want to make sure, before creating one, that making a Windows share will not impose Windows ACLs permissions on the files/folder?

I recently did a fresh install because Windows ALCs were causing problems with the integration of multiple plugins. To avoid this, I'm trying to stick to UNIX permissions. However, I want to be able to access all my files on Mac, Windows, (less often) Linux systems.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I want to make sure, before creating one, that making a Windows share will not impose Windows ACLs permissions on the files/folder?

I recently did a fresh install because Windows ALCs were causing problems with the integration of multiple plugins. To avoid this, I'm trying to stick to UNIX permissions. However, I want to be able to access all my files on Mac, Windows, (less often) Linux systems.
@dlavigne @cyberjock , I'm a bit out of my depth here. Feel free to confirm or correct the following.

ZFS uses NFSv4 ACLs. There is no way to stop it from using these ACLs. ZFS on Linux has a feature flag "acltype" which when set to "acltype = posixacl", which transparently translates NFSv4 ACLs to POSIX draft ACLs. FreeBSD does not implement this feature flag. When the aclmode property is set to "passthrough" and you are using trivial ACLs, you will not notice any difference in behavior between ZFS permissions and permissions in UFS/EXT{2-4}.

FreeNAS changes the behavior of ACLs depending on how you plan to use the dataset. When you set a dataset to "Windows" FreeNAS will change ZFS's "aclmode" property to "restricted". When the aclmode property is set in this manner, chmod is prevented from clobbering non-trivial ACLs on a dataset. This behavior was set in FreeNAS here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/5070 and is further documented here.

Examples of ACLS:
Trivial ACL
Code:
# file: dtruss.out
# owner: root
# group: wheel
            owner@:rw-p--aARWcCos:-------:allow
            group@:r-----a-R-c--s:-------:allow
         everyone@:r-----a-R-c--s:-------:allow

Non-Trivial ACL
Code:
# file: IT/
# owner: root
# group: DOMAIN\domain admins
group:DOMAIN\IT Staff:rwxp-daARWc---:fd-----:allow
group:DOMAIN\backupusers:r-x---a-R-c---:fd-----:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd-----:allow
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd-----:allow

The entry
Code:
group:DOMAIN\IT Staff:rwxp-daARWc---:fd-----:allow
is a non-trivial ACE.

You can easily see why I don't want an application to clobber the above non-trivial ACL (IT Staff would lose access to the share). It will also clobber "deny" ACLs that are set on the file. This can seriously undermine security in a multi-user environment, and so FreeNAS defaults to a 'safe' config that is more secure in this way.

As long as you do not intend to set non-trivial ACLs on a dataset (which is fairly typical in a single-user environment), you should be fine using "unix" permissions type on a CIFS share (which sets the aclmode property to "passthrough"). I would still disable the "zfsacl" VFS module from samba to be sure that a windows application won't try to write non-trivial ACLs on files / folders.

@pirateghost does this on his server (unix permissions type) and doesn't have problems.

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard
I set Unix permissions on my datasets and then use CIFS as the share. There are zero issues.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Group permissions over smb will be broken unless you remove the zfsacl vfs module from the samba configuration. I'm pretty sure about this but will need to test and double check

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I set Unix permissions on my datasets and then use CIFS as the share. There are zero issues.

You are likely to have problems later on since the devs are not writing future FreeNAS code to work with this specific configuration.

Group permissions over smb will be broken unless you remove the zfsacl vfs module from the samba configuration. I'm pretty sure about this but will need to test and double check

I'm 99.999% sure this is incorrect. I can't test this personally since I have no groups that I use on my FreeNAS systems.

diedrichg

Wizard
You are likely to have problems later on since the devs are not writing future FreeNAS code to work with this specific configuration.
Been waiting on your ACL guide...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Been waiting on your ACL guide...

I've said multiple times, don't wait on it. I've got plenty of work-related things to do and I can't even keep up on forum posts, let alone other stuff going on in my life. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.