SOLVED Why is this one drive so hyperactive?

o0o

Dabbler
Hi,

I wonder, why this one disc is so active all the time...
As you can see in the attached screenshot, my ada7 is busy all the time. All the other drives show no activity.
ada7 is a single disc pool, the other (visible) drives are together in one pool. Another disc also is a single pool, but shows no activity. All pools are shared over SMB. Settings are all the same for each drive.

Why is this one drive so hyperactive?

Thanks for any hints.
(I'm new to TrueNAS, please be gentle :])

Attachments

• disc_activity.jpg
    disc_activity.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 170

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Is the single-disc pool containing ada7 the one where you placed the system dataset?

Reactions: o0o

o0o

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick reply!
No, system data set is on ada4. Sorry for mentioning. There is "some" activity too. But it doesnt look as the pattern of ada7.

Samuel Tai

You may be confusing the boot pool with the system dataset. I'm referring to System->System Dataset, which has to be set on a pool.

Also, what shares do you have defined on ada7?

o0o

Dabbler
Ahhh, you are right. I thought boot and system is automatically on the same drive. I didn't set up ada7 as system dataset. Can I simply change it to one of the other options at System->System Dataset? "boot-pool" is the only SSD in the system. Is it ok to choose this?
Do I need to do some preparation bevor moving the system dataset?

I only have one data set on ada7 and it's and Samba share.

Samuel Tai

It's not recommended to have the system dataset on the boot pool. It should be on the pool with the greatest redundancy, to have the lowest risk of system database corruption.

As for the disk activity on ada7, what exactly are you sharing out, and which client is connected to the share?

sretalla