Why disk size is differnet (less) from n4f

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed nas4free 10.02 and freenas 9.3.1 on ESXi 5.1 to try deduplication and standart ZFS partition

1.) gave them both 10x8GB virtual disks
2.) and made 2 pool with 5 disk x 8 GB for each
3.) and made both are ZFS Zraid 1
4.) and made 1st pool deduplication enabled for both

and I use share and connect as network drive to my windows,
now I have 4 drivers as in picture

but there is some thing wrong in my oppinion or am I doing something wrong
for FreeNas : 5 disk x 8GB = 24GB
for Nas4Free 5 disk x 8GB = 30,7GB
ss (2015-12-03 at 08.01.15).png

and also n4f dedup didn't work I'll check today but it is not my biggest consern for now;

gpsguy

One issue that you'll see with small test disks like this, is that FreeNAS creates a 2GB swap partition on each disk. You should size your memory, such that it wouldn't need to use swap. Having the partition is useful, should you need to replace a disk down the road and the size isn't exactly the same as the original disk.

Please read the documentation and some of the stickies (or do a forum search) on deduplication, before you put it in production. The general rule of thumb, is 5GB of RAM per 1TB of disk space to be deduplicated.

gpsguy thanks for reply,
I was using Promise ns4600 for storing my movies/serials etc... and now I will just make DIY home nas with 8 x 3TB disks instead of expensive solutions like QNAP, Synology etc...
I read a lot about deduplication, and I'll not use this NAS for production in any way & I already know movies already has kind a dedup with x264 or x265 codes.

I'm planning to use my old q8300 CPU with 8 GB memory on Asus P5Q Pro board. with good ThermalTake case&psu to put these drivers on. and I just want to see how deduplication works on ZFS. honestly it was working very well with document and picture files on Windows 8.1 (with code files from W2012R2).

But I didn't know about this 2GB cache, it's good to know it :) I feel relaxed, becuase I like mostly FreeNAS but when I think I would loose %25 of 20TB :) I was thinking maybe n4f would be better.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is aa 100% chance that you should not be using dedup and it will not work for what you want.

JDCynical

Contributor
I'm planning to use my old q8300 CPU with 8 GB memory on Asus P5Q Pro board.
No ECC, desktop board, FSB CPU...

You aren't planning on using this kit for 'production' I hope, but just a testing system, right?

Last edited:
Justin, I promise I'll use at home and just for fun, Watching movies/serials over Android TV as I said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.