SOLVED What is the correct way to reference a file path in FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traderjay

Explorer
I have Plex running in a jail and need the file reference path to the server log files. This is what I am getting in shell:

Code:
root@plexmediaserver_1:/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs # ls           
Plex DLNA Server Neptune.log            Plex Media Scanner Analysis.log.5     
Plex DLNA Server Neptune.old.log        Plex Media Scanner.log                
Plex DLNA Server.log                    Plex Media Scanner.log.1              
Plex DLNA Server.log.1                  Plex Media Scanner.log.2              
Plex DLNA Server.log.2                  Plex Media Scanner.log.3              
Plex DLNA Server.log.3                  Plex Media Scanner.log.4              
Plex DLNA Server.log.4                  Plex Media Scanner.log.5              
Plex DLNA Server.log.5                  Plex Media Server.log                 
Plex Media Scanner Analysis.log         Plex Media Server.log.1               
Plex Media Scanner Analysis.log.1       Plex Media Server.log.2               
Plex Media Scanner Analysis.log.2       Plex Media Server.log.3               
Plex Media Scanner Analysis.log.3       Plex Media Server.log.4               
Plex Media Scanner Analysis.log.4       Plex Media Server.log.5       

In this case, what is the correct way to reference to this file path? Is it:

root@plexmediaserver_1:/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs

or

/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs

According to the official documentation posted here - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

Code:
${JAIL_ROOT}/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs/
is the complete path. So in my case should I rename JAIL into:

Code:
${plexmediaserver_1_ROOT}/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs/

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you've marked this solved, which would suggest you'd already found the answer, but if so, you haven't posted it. From within the jail, the directory is /var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs. From outside the jail, it will be as the plex support page says, but you've misunderstood ${JAIL_ROOT}--that refers to the root directory of the jail. You can find that by adding the Jail Root (found at Jails -> Configuration, in my case it's /mnt/tank/jail) to the name of the jail (plexmediaserver_1). So, ${JAIL_ROOT}, if it were on my server, is /mnt/tank/jail/plexmediaserver_1/. The complete directory, when accessing from outside the jail (i.e., from your FreeNAS server itself) would then be /mnt/tank/jail/plexmediaserver_1/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs.

traderjay

Explorer
Well, you've marked this solved, which would suggest you'd already found the answer, but if so, you haven't posted it. From within the jail, the directory is /var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs. From outside the jail, it will be as the plex support page says, but you've misunderstood ${JAIL_ROOT}--that refers to the root directory of the jail. You can find that by adding the Jail Root (found at Jails -> Configuration, in my case it's /mnt/tank/jail) to the name of the jail (plexmediaserver_1). So, ${JAIL_ROOT}, if it were on my server, is /mnt/tank/jail/plexmediaserver_1/. The complete directory, when accessing from outside the jail (i.e., from your FreeNAS server itself) would then be /mnt/tank/jail/plexmediaserver_1/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs.

Hello Dan - thanks for the follow up - I should've replied to this thread indicating that my issue has been resolved. This will come in handy in the future if I need to reference any file or mount paths :)

Status
Not open for further replies.