What does better linux, in a Jail support mean? (news)

diskdiddler

Wizard

I've had some trouble getting this going.

My little OrangePi Zero has died................. somehow - no idea why - so I'd prefer this on my NAS.
Anyone ever got CUPS in a jail working OR does this news, mean if I wait, it might become easier?

Thoughts?
(recent changes to Bhyve allow me access to USB - but it's an entire controller - not a single port! oh well)

ornias

Wizard
For now linux support means next-to-nothing for Truenas, because iocage (the jailmanager used by truenas) doesn't support this (yet).
Also: It requires a host update to the FreeBSD os underlaying TrueNAS. Which also isn't available (yet)

diskdiddler

Wizard
For now linux support means next-to-nothing for Truenas, because iocage (the jailmanager used by truenas) doesn't support this (yet).
Also: It requires a host update to the FreeBSD os underlaying TrueNAS. Which also isn't available (yet)

Oh to be fair , yeah I figured it would obviously need to be rolled into base os!

They being said, could it be beneficial at all?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@ornias TrueNAS Core is on FreeBSD 12.2, already. I expect U1 to deliver -RELEASE or whatever -pN is current at that momen.
Code:
root@freenas[~]# uname -a
FreeBSD freenas.ettlingen.hausen.com 12.2-RC3 FreeBSD 12.2-RC3 7c4ec6ff02c(HEAD) TRUENAS  amd64

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
They being said, could it be beneficial at all?
It means you will get better support running Linux binaries inside jails. It will not give you any Linux kernel features or support for "Linux only" hardware. The kernel is still FreeBSD ...

diskdiddler

Wizard
So it sounds like I need to wake up my cups thread when I get spare time, to figure out where I went wrong (I was darn close last time !!!)

biGdada

Dabbler
Anyone ever got CUPS in a jail working OR does this news, mean if I wait, it might become easier?
i have CUPS running in a jail since ever, (well - technically, since jails were added to FreeNAS) - never had a problem with it. Care to elaborate?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
IIRC @diskdiddler is trying to drive a locally USB connect printer with CUPS. I only buy printers with network interfaces for that reason.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
IIRC @diskdiddler is trying to drive a locally USB connect printer with CUPS. I only buy printers with network interfaces for that reason.
I pretty much do the same thing (with preference for ones with wired interfaces). My current printer at home (Brother DCP-7065DN) is about 8 years old, has a page count of 17841, and is still going strong. I think I bought it for approx $100.

biGdada

Dabbler
USB printers are the ultimate evil. never had one at home, moved from LPT(dot matrix, about 20 years ago) to HP LASERJET 4100N (the one with network card) and never looked back. BTW, it still works.

diskdiddler

Wizard

Correct, I'm trying to use a USB Dymo printer - but to be clear here, CUPS can do this, because my $5 OrangePi Zero did it for a year with Armbian, I'm just trying to eliminate the need for it (especially since it just smoked another SD Card recently it seems)

I got 3/4 of the way with a jail and USB but I think the DEVFS stuff was stinging me somehow and I ran out of time.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Possibly they fixed the devfs management in iocage this time in TN 12.0. The Linux support is a different matter altogether and will not help you with this particular problem.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Do you know if there was a change to the DevFS system in 12 or are we both just speculating?

There's also a very very good chance, this is simply a user skill / mistake issue to be fair.

Finally, DEVFS annoys me as a term, my brain says 'development, file system' it clearly isn't, what is it? Device Forwarding Service perhaps?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
device filesystem.

And there where fixes. The fact that user defined devfs rules did not work was a bug in iocage. Should be fixed though I have not tried it yet.

ornias

Wizard
User defined devfs rules for jails are not supported even in 12, had a good chat with the devs about that one.
The iocage bug was unrelated, mostly.

User defined devfs rules for plugins are supported since 12 however :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So who's building a CUPS plugin? :wink:

diskdiddler

Wizard
I managed to make one, once - kinda, with my elementary skills, I think it was for sickchill, by copying the sickrage plugin and modifying it. That alone was daunting :)