What do you think about 10TB Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacopx

Patron

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The extra density is very welcome for surveillance setups.

AVB

Contributor
7 10TB drives instead of 24 3 TB drives. That would mean I'd have all those empty slots to fill, the pressure would be too great just to save every little piece of crap I came across if I changed all at once. Maybe eventually when I start ripping 10K resolution movies but not at the moment.

Jacopx

Patron
7 10TB drives instead of 24 3 TB drives. That would mean I'd have all those empty slots to fill, the pressure would be too great just to save every little piece of crap I came across if I changed all at once. Maybe eventually when I start ripping 10K resolution movies but not at the moment.

We must still wait a few days! [emoji28]

AVB

Contributor
With 170TB of additional space in my server I could rip one full 40GB Blu-ray iso a day for the next 12 years. Of course, I'm pretty sure there aren't 4500 movies that I would want considering that in the 35 years of the VHS, Laserdisk, DVD and Blu-ray I've collected I've only got to about 1200.

Mlovelace

Guru
I was out at Seagate... 10TB would be fine for archiving, but I prefer more spindles for greater iops.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I was out at Seagate...
Since these are a new design (as evidenced by them being Helium drives), it's unlikely they suffer from the same design flaw/tooling SNAFU the 3TB drives suffer from.

AVB

Contributor
Here is the 10 TB Ironwolf (NAS version) for sale already.

Jacopx

Patron
Here is the 10 TB Ironwolf (NAS version) for sale already.

We will wait for some "real use" benchmark... I never used Seagate drive! I prefer HGTS or WD!
Someone had bad experiences with Seagate?

AVB

Contributor
I'm not going to buy one but some real results I'm sure are in the pipeline.

In the past 35 years I've had bad drives from it seems like every manufacturer who made a hard drive. Conner,DSI,Fuji,Seagate,WD,Maxtor,IBM,Hitachi,Teac,Toshiba,DEC,Quantum,HP,CDC,Micropolis,NEC and more I can't remember. You can't fault an entire companies product based on one line. I do like the Toshibas I've been getting lately but after getting the HGST technology I can understand why. Hitachi were my drives of choice for a long time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've had terrible experiences with Seagate in the past. But every company has their ups and downs. Lately Seagate's stock has been going downhill because of problems they've had. I'd love to test 10 of these, but no way I'm going to spend $5k to "find out" if they are good drives.

Jacopx

Patron

Mr_N

Patron
I've had terrible experiences with Seagate in the past. But every company has their ups and downs. Lately Seagate's stock has been going downhill because of problems they've had. I'd love to test 10 of these, but no way I'm going to spend $5k to "find out" if they are good drives.

cyberjock i note in your sig that your system stats include "FreeNAS-9.3.1-STABLE-(likely forever)" have you changed your mind about updating to 9.10, as you said in another thread it may happen later in the yr... (I've been waiting for you to go first :p)

I've not had any issues with seagate drives that couldn't be explained by extensive use over many yrs and didn't use any 3TB drives so wouldn't have a problem with a 10TB drive from them but it is going to be more economical to buy smaller drives for a while yet :)

Last edited:

CraigD

Patron
Larger drives take longer to rebuild

I'm no math expert but RAIDz1(or RAID5) is dead on larger drives, maybe RAIDz2(or RAID6) is now close to being dead? At what point does this happen to RAIDz3, RAIDz4?(or whatever they call it)

We will wait for some "real use" benchmark... I never used Seagate drive! I prefer HGTS or WD!
Someone had bad experiences with Seagate?

Most of us will agree with you. My bad experience with Seagate stop intermediately after I stop buying them:smile:

That exactly the point. If this was s single drive needed the risk would be more reasonable to take, but since we all need to buy much more drives for populating full NAS it becomes pretty huge and risky investment for home use.

Jacopx

Patron

Jacopx

Patron
So if we follow that to the logical conclusion, we should stop buying hard drives. Then we will stop having bad experiences.

We can write all our data in paper sheets!

Status
Not open for further replies.