BUILD What do you guys think of my build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold

Cadet
Trying to build a NAS for my home (Usenet, SickBeard, MySQL and NFS for file sharing).

MOBO:
Supermicro X9SCM-F (Know how much you guys love this one)

CPU: (this is where I'm struggling):
The G3230 (cheaper) or the Xeon e31220 V2 (do I need all that power for NFS/Usenet/MySql?)

Chassis:
The gorgeous Node 304 (but does the Micro ATX fit in this Mini ITX? Seen people in the forums use it)

RAM:
1x Kingston 8GB Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (Server Memory) - Plan to go full 32GB in the fututre.

HDD:
1x WD (Red) 4TB (64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s) - Plan to add 5 more in the future.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, Micro ATX is larger than Mini ITX. Wikipedia has an image somewhere showing all the sizes overlaid.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Something big with good airflow is always good.

Z300M

Guru
Trying to build a NAS for my home (Usenet, SickBeard, MySQL and NFS for file sharing).

MOBO:
Supermicro X9SCM-F (Know how much you guys love this one)

CPU: (this is where I'm struggling):
The G3230 (cheaper) or the Xeon e31220 V2 (do I need all that power for NFS/Usenet/MySql?)

Chassis:
The gorgeous Node 304 (but does the Micro ATX fit in this Mini ITX? Seen people in the forums use it)

RAM:
1x Kingston 8GB Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (Server Memory) - Plan to go full 32GB in the future.
Considering that Kingston recently took all their 8GB modules off the recommended list for the X10 motherboards, I would stick to whatever Supermicro show on their "Tested Memory" list: Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB or Samsung M391B1G73BH0-CK0. In any case, Kingston's recommendation for that motherboard is the KVR16E11/8EF rather than the KVR16E11/8I.

HDD:
1x WD (Red) 4TB (64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s) - Plan to add 5 more in the future.
You need to plan ahead for expansion: there is only a limited number of ways of expanding a storage pool once it has been created. More important, a single drive gives you no redundancy, so I would say that the minimum number of drives with which to start is two.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Another possibility is the Bitfenix Phenom M, this is a much, much smaller micro-ATX case with a nice minimal, cubical shape, that holds 5+ drives.

Harold

Cadet
Now this one is perfect! Great form factor, simple and comes in white.

I was also thinking of going with this mobo:
ASRock C2550D4I

But not sure if it's good for FreeNAS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That mobo is mini-ITX. Which is smaller.

Also, *THAT* mobo, or something just like it (I think the one I'm thinking of is actually like a 8-core version of this), is actually the motherboard of choice in the new FreeNAS mini, if I'm not mistaken.

So you should be happy with that choice as well. Either way.

TheSmoker

Patron
Fractal Design Arc Mini is also a good choice with good expandability for the future. 6 internal drives and you can also use the 5.25 bays to add 3 more. Good airflow as well. I use it with 800rpm Gentle Typhoon fans in front and back and the cpu is passively cooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.