webgui shell "window" dimensions -- possible to resize for more columns?

jasonbuechler

Dabbler
So the webgui, as we all know, used to have a shell-window with adjustable dimensions (rows x columns) but 11.2... well there's no handy dandy size popup to change it. Is there a way/command/etc to resize the terminal?
(to be clear: not FONT size. terminal rows/columns dimensions.)

(PS: unrelated but because I think this needs to be advertised more obviously to noobs like me: you CAN paste into console/jail shells! You can't control-v or rightclick-paste, but you can use Chrome's "dots menu" > edit|paste menu option)

1559061205985.png

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

jasonbuechler

Dabbler
I'm specifically trying to create a super-minimalist instructional video to show Foscam ipcamera users how to set up a jail to collect/archive media from onboard sdcards... I was hoping there was something quicker than walking them through setting up ssh/etc for just a minimalist jail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ortFoa0DQE
https://github.com/jasonbuechler/foscam-archiver-for-home-nas

(I'd be plenty happy for even just an ugly kludge like mod'ing some element/js using chrome's devtools inspector, for example)

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
(I'd be plenty happy for even just an ugly kludge like mod'ing some element/js using chrome's devtools inspector, for example)
I don't know if anyone has even looked at that because most people that want to work on the command line setup SSH. It has been a staple of FreeNAS since the early days. The only reason the shell even exists in the GUI is as a convenience for something so quick and easy that you don't need to open a terminal window. I never use the shell through the GUI, but I keep multiple terminal windows open all the time. It is how I can easily tell that Microsoft has rebooted my system for me without my permission.

danb35

Hall of Famer
you CAN paste into console/jail shells!
Of course you can. Command-C, Command-V... Oh wait, that's on a Mac. On Windows, Ctrl+Insert copies, Shift+Insert pastes. The problem is that (almost) nobody knows those command keys, they only know Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V. But those are standard Windows command keys and have been for a good many years.

jasonbuechler

Dabbler
I don't know if anyone has even looked at that because most people that want to work on the command line setup SSH. It has been a staple of FreeNAS since the early days. The only reason the shell even exists in the GUI is as a convenience for something so quick and easy that you don't need to open a terminal window. I never use the shell through the GUI, but I keep multiple terminal windows open all the time. It is how I can easily tell that Microsoft has rebooted my system for me without my permission.

Hahahhaaaaaaa/cry painfully true...

As a final tangent: I poked through the webshell code on github for a little while and concluded I'm too dumb to poke through the code on github. If any future person concludes anything can be done client-side, please msg me!

Of course you can. Command-C, Command-V... Oh wait, that's on a Mac. On Windows, Ctrl+Insert copies, Shift+Insert pastes. The problem is that (almost) nobody knows those command keys, they only know Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V. But those are standard Windows command keys and have been for a good many years.

MIND = BLOWN. :D

That is awesome, thank you!!
I did some zero-effort googling a long while back and didn't find (well... didn't /notice/...) your solution so in case any future googlers end up here...
  • Copy: Ctrl+Insert
  • Paste: Shift+Insert
...on Windows, of course. On a Mac, use cmd as normal.

pschatz100

Guru
You can still do Ctrl C to copy on Windows, but you have to do the Shift+Insert to paste into the FreeNAS Shell.