Web server installed, need help configuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuteless

Cadet
I'd like to be able to use my freenas server to test websites that I'm working on - I've installed the plugins jail, and got Apache, MySQL, PHP and phpMyAdmin all installed and (as far as I can tell) working properly. But I've now run into a couple of problems - I've not done any of this server-type stuff before, so it may be fairly trivial!

I've been using freenas for a while as a basic file server, and so the plugins jail is located within my main storage volume ('/mnt/Data').

Firstly (although this may be solved by my second question) the document root for the web server is set to '/usr/local/www/apache22/data' by default. But I don't seem to have permission to write or edit any files in this directory, so I'm currently just stuck with the 'It works!' page. Where can I change the settings so I have the relevant permissions for this folder?

Secondly, I'd like to be able to have a number of websites on the server. I think this may be something to do with virtual hosts, but I don't know much about this (I've un-commented the vhost line in httpd.conf, which I'm hoping is the first step!). I guess this question is split into two parts - how do I set up virtual hosts and the relevant folders? And also, is it possible to have these folders outside the plugin jail, elsewhere in my main storage volume? I've currently got all the sites saved in individual folders in '/mnt/Data/websites' - if I could keep them there and somehow point Apache to this location (and be able to access each site individually) it would be perfect!

Hopefully these are relatively simple questions for someone who knows what they're doing, but any help or guidance would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.