Web Hosting On TrueNAS Scale

netspear.io

Dabbler
Hey, I wanted to know what's the best way to host the web applications on TrueNAS Scale?
I have some applications I want to install, that run using MySQL and web server like Apache or something similar.
I don't mind running VMs, just looking for the best way to do it.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Bunch of ways to do that. Deploying containers for mysql, apache or similar is certainly possible. Or you can do the same by loading a VM and installing packages via the distro of your choice.

truecharts

Guru
We have MariaDB available as an App that can be used, but we currently do not have a standard webserver ready within our catalog.
However it should be relatively easy to stich one together using Custom-App or Launch docker and connect it to our MariaDB App :)

netspear.io

Dabbler
We have MariaDB available as an App that can be used, but we currently do not have a standard webserver ready within our catalog.
However it should be relatively easy to stich one together using Custom-App or Launch docker and connect it to our MariaDB App :)
I didn't see the MariaDB in the app catalog. I will check again today.

truecharts

Guru
I didn't see the MariaDB in the app catalog. I will check again today.
It's primarily meant as a dependency for other Apps, hence it's un the dependency train.

Korvenwin

Cadet
Any plans to add an Nginx or Apache to the catalog?

truecharts

Guru
Any plans to add an Nginx or Apache to the catalog?

As always:
We're a community everyone is free to PR what they like to be added.
There is no central roadmap for Apps nor do we "build apps to order"

FinleyRrr

Cadet
If you're comfortable running VMs, you can definitely go that route and install Apache or a similar web server, along with MySQL, on a virtual machine. This way, you can have complete control over your environment and configure everything to your liking.

Maxiflyer

Cadet
If you're comfortable running VMs, you can definitely go that route and install Apache or a similar web server, along with MySQL, on a virtual machine. This way, you can have complete control over your environment and configure everything to your liking.
Another option to consider is using a dedicated server. With a dedicated server, you get a whole physical server to yourself, so you don't have to share resources with anyone else. This is a good choice if you're looking for more power and performance and if you have more demanding web applications to host.

doze5

Dabbler
From hardware point of view you should go for SSD NVMe with raid and ECC ram + Lite Speed Web Server + Lite Speed Cache. IMHO this is basic for online store hosting. IMHO speed of the website is one of many bricks for good SEO. Maybe in few years I will move my site to my home server with my home fiber, but for now I pay for my hosting.