Web GUI for Highpoint Rocket Raid 2720sgl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to install the Web GUI for the Highpoint Rocket RAID 2720sgl and I am having problems. I am an experienced MS computer user but cannot wrap my head around linux/unix/freebsd way of doing things. So here I am looking for help.

First let me say I have checked around and have not been able to find enough help to get me through this issue.
I am using FreeNAS x64 9.2.1.9 and I found an article using FreeNAS 9.1.1 installing the Web GUI, but when I try to use it I get errors. So I was hoping to list the procedure and someone could take a look at it and do a reality check and tell if this will work. First I made a jail and then entered the jails shell.

Listing from WebGUI install procedure.

#Installs raid webgui for rocketraid 2310
# make usr folder RW (read only on Freenas 9.1.1)
mount -rw /

#Create a 25MB RAM drive /var/tmp (for using pkg_add)
mdconfig -a -t malloc -s 25M -u 10
newfs /dev/md10
mount /dev/md10 /var/tmp

#Create a 20MB RAM drive /usr/share/hpt (destination folder
for install)
mdconfig -a -t malloc -s 20M -u 11
newfs /dev/md11
mkdir /usr/share/hpt
chmod 777 /usr/share/hpt
mount /dev/md11 /usr/share/hpt/

#download the file

fetch http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/HRM/FreeBSD/WebGUI-FreeBSD-v2.1.4- 130401.tgz
tar zxvf WebGUI-FreeBSD-v2.1.4-130401.tgz

#install the deamon
pkg_add hptsvr-https-2.1.4-13.0401.tbz

After that use your browser to go to

http://freenasip:7402/

Username: RAID
password: hpt

So the first error I get is below and this is from within the jail shell created.

root@Web:/ # mount -rw /
mount: /: unknown special file or file system

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I tried to do this back in 8.x. Then one of the iXsystems developers tried too. He succeeded where I failed, but he said it was very convoluted because expected dependencies from FreeBSD don't exist on FreeNAS. He had to debug the code in the WebGUI .tgz to find out what was missing because the log errors were general "I'm broken" messages.

Anyway, if you try to do this in a jail, you won't need to do the mount -rw /. If you aren't in a jail this is going to be a total trainwreck because last time I tried there wasn't enough disk space for all of the files, so I had to delete files carefully that I knew I would never use (like iSCSI and NFS stuff).

I think you're heading up a path that is not going to give a satisfying resolution. Also, that hardware isn't a good choice for FreeNAS (and ZFS in particular) so I'd take the card and sell it and get more appropriate hardware. See our hardware stickies for stuff we recommend that is fairly cheap. The basic reality is that if you need to use the GUI at all, your hardware is likely to be responsible for your lost data later.

If you want to go this route I'd *highly* recommend you just go with FreeBSD itself as it installs pretty pain-free. Keep in mind that even at that you shouldn't be using that card with ZFS.

Good luck.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just wondering, what is the need to access this WebUI?

I have one of this cards, flashed the Non-RAID BIOS before. It does give me fatal errors (not data threatening with ZFS) which makes me want to bite the bullet and get an LSI card, but I'm hoping FN9.3 solves these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.