Wake On LAN (WOL) does not work with Realtek RTL8111E

WhiteTiger

Explorer
I have an Mother Board ASRock FM2A85X-ITX with Realtek RTL8111E NIC. The datasheet reports that this NIC supports Wake On LAN (WOL).
WOL is enabled in the BIOS and this is the result from the shell:
Code:
root@nas1[~]# ifconfig -m re0
re0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=83899<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
        capabilities=8399b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
        ether bc:5f:f4:c9:3e:b1
        inet 192.168.203.15 netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast 192.168.203.31
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        supported media:

However, I cannot activate the NAS from a PC located in the same network segment (with IP address 192.168.203.10) and on the same switch.
Where am I wrong?

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

The Realtek is known not to work nicely in TrueNAS. You should have this NIC replaced by an Intel one to ensure proper working.

WhiteTiger

Explorer
The NIC is in the motherboard and this is Mini-ITX. So, MoBo and case don't allow me to add another card.
I take note of the problems, but in my opinion it is a mistake not to take into consideration that Realtek is very popular and Intel is present only on medium-high-end MoBos.
Thanks for the reply

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's taken into consideration. The feature just doesn't work very well because the hardware is crap, and often requires band-aids to work if indeed it can be made to work at all.

The folks who develop the FreeBSD Realtek drivers could have a full time job just trying to make this kind of thing work, if they even had access to the hardware, but no one is volunteering to provide them with a lab filled with all the variants of boards and chipsets. It's easy to think of it as some sort of intentional sleight towards Realtek owners until you consider that comprehensive testing like that is extremely resource intensive and costly to do.