Volumes best configuration recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

exu666

Cadet
Hi guys,

I've read a good deal of freenas stuff but I just want make sure I'm doing the right move. I have two 4Tb WD RED NAS and a bunch of 2Tb and 3Tb disks (some sataII some sataIII) that roughly sum up to 15 Tb and I can't afford buying any more disks.
I absolutely need to have 8Tb of space available and I don't care about redundancy (RAID) as much as I care about having a solid backup strategy.

So I figured having the two 4Tbs on my FreeNas machine. One ZFS pool for each (I could stripe the two volumes but I'd increasing the chances of failure) and then I'd JBOD 8Tb worth of disks inside my windows machine (as Dynamic Disks so I'll have one big 8Tb volume) and I'd Rsync each pool nightly and that's my main backup.

I also have a second box and I'm thinking of setting up a second FreeNas to hold my two pools replication or snapshots. In this case, the disks would have to be striped till 8Tb right?
I guess I could setup a WOL so it'd stay kinda "off-site" or simply connect the box once a month to the switch and let the two FreeNas boxes do their thing.

So my questions are:
1) Do you guys think it's the best approach in my case?
2) Would I be losing ZFS features by going stripe?
3) JBOD means stripe when using ZFS right?
4) The best Mobo supports only SataII. Would that make a difference for worst in a Gigabit LAN?
5) Is Rsync reliable? Can I just erase older snapshots and restore to the most recent...

Thanks in advance,
Joe

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.