VMs Ubuntu/FreeBSD fail to install properly

lambert

Cadet
I setup pihole and shinobi in seperate VMs on my FreeNAS-11.3-U5 server at the primary house using ubuntu 20 (ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-amd64.iso). Everything went swimmingly.

I am now trying the same thing at my secondary house on TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 using the same ubuntu ISO file. The sha256 tests match. I cannot get the ubuntu install to complete successfully. I've tried using the defaults with 2 VirtCPUs and 1 VirtCPU and with 512MB/2GB/4GB RAM. I've also tried it with virtio for the drive and the network individually and together.

I finally tried installing FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso, because I had the ISO laying around, as a control. It shows the boot splash, loads the kernel and clears the screen, very quickly. Then a solid block cursor appears in the upper left corner of the VNC shell, with an x mouse cursor in the middle of the screen. The mouse moves, but nothing else happens visually even after several minutes.

Is there an issue with bhyve VMs in TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1? I now wish I had tried the VMs on 12.0-U2 which it was running before got here. I just had to get TrueNAS up to date before I setup the new VMs. Usually that's a good idea, and maybe it didn't make any difference.

The hardware is the same on both systems except that the TrueNAS 12 system started life as a FreeNAS-mini with 4 2 TB WD reds. When the mainboard died I moved the drives and the DOM into one of the three 2008 year model Dell PowerEdge R710s I had on hand. The FreeNAS 11 system is on another PowerEdge R710.

I just wanted to ask before I spend hours beating my head against this wall. In the meantime, I'll probably just use the pihole in another state over my VPN.

lambert

Cadet
I spent hours reading the Ubuntu install logs. They are very verbose and seem to repeat a lot of information several times. Ubuntu thought the packages on the "cdrom" were not valid for another 3 hours 50ish minutes.

I'm pretty sure the system clock is UTC. I'm -6. Switching the VM system clock setting from Default to UTC seems to have fixed the Ubuntu installation process and pi-hole is now up and running.