SOLVED VLANs and jails working in 11.3 RC1?

Hi folks - quick question: Has anyone had tried out jails with VLANs in RC1? I ttried it in 11.2-U6/7 without success (but much head banging).

Thanks!

craigdt

Explorer
I have had VLANS working in 11.2 since I moved over to it.

I can share what I did to get them working once I get my server operational again (currently it's down for hardware maintenance and with it being a home server I'm taking my time but should have it operational in a few days time)

I haven't tested 11.3 yet, I do have a spare old server I can test with though so might spin that up if I get some time.

Thanks! For some clarity I should note that I'm trying to use jails with VLANs if that makes any difference...

craigdt

Explorer
Thanks! For some clarity I should note that I'm trying to use jails with VLANs if that makes any difference...

My configuration is I have 2 VLANs at the FreeNAS networking level, and each Jail is assigned to a specific VLAN.

A while back I tried to assign a jail to the trunk so I can access multiple VLANs inside the jail, but the FreeNAS system kept freezing.

A while back I tried to assign a jail to the trunk so I can access multiple VLANs inside the jail, but the FreeNAS system kept freezing.
I've has a similar - but not the same issue: See my post thread here.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
As per the 11.3 RC1 blogpost
Network interface management has been redesigned to streamline the management of both physical and virtual interfaces using one screen. VLANs and LAGGs are now classified as interface types and support for the Bridge interface type has been added. The addressing details for all physical interfaces, including DHCP, are now displayed but are read-only if the interface is a member of a LAGG. When applying interface changes, the web interface provides a window to cancel the change and revert to the previous network configuration. A new MTU field makes it easier to set the MTU as it no longer has to be typed in as an Auxiliary Parameter.

I did not checked the RC1 yet so i really hope the Jail VLAN config will be easier/GUI-based in 11.3.

Thanks @HolyK - I read that post as well. I'm just hoping it it at least it works in 11.3. I could not get the networking to work at all...

KevDog

Patron
Hey I upgraded to 11.3-RC2 - VLANs and jails appear to be working for me -- better than 11.2-U7 - which is good. I think however the process of setting them up is similar so there is no magic bullet for this one.

Follow-up: I finally got it to work in 11.2-U7. @KevDog has some great step-by-step instructions on the Lawrence Systems forums. I had to carefully read them (many time, large font ;)) and carefully go through my ifconfig. My issue is that in my initial FreeNAS setup I had assigned a bridge to the physical interface that I was trying to use for the VLANs in the system tunables. Once I removed that assignment (and rebooted!) the VLANs worked. Thumbs up to @KevDog!

Unfortunately, as @KevDog notes, the 11.3 RCs have change so the instructions won't be quite the same.

KevDog

Patron
@Newfoundland.Republic

I posted a guide for 11.3 here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/how-to-setup-vlans-within-freenas-11-3.81633/
Its a lot more wordy than the 11.2 setup. Concepts are still the same however, its just now the bridges (except bridge0) need to be created from within the GUI than the system tunables. For me at least bridge0 still needed to be created from the system tunable interface. The remainder of the method is the same except for specification of dns names servers within each jail. I had to name the name servers explicitly within the resolver field rather than keep it at the default /etc/resolv.conf <-- specifically for networks where the jail was on a separate network (or vlan) than the host pfsense installation.

I'm sure that didn't make any sense what I just wrote.