Virtualbox and crashplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahBah

Dabbler
Hi

In the past I've had trouble with the crashplan plugin installation on my freenas box.

Could I install virtualbox and mount my freenas shares? If so, could I run the crashplan client natively in a vm and then backup my shares like that?

Many thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
You could, but it may take a bit more messing around. Off the top of my head, it would require:
  • Mounting the datasets you want to back up to your VirtualBox jail as storage
  • Installing the VirtualBox guest tools in the guest OS
  • Configuring the Shared Folders feature to make those datasets visible to the guest OS
...in addition to the usual mucking about with the headless crashplan configuration.

katit

Contributor
...in addition to the usual mucking about with the headless crashplan configuration.

You mean "instead of" - becaue if he installs GUI OS in VirtualBox - Crashplan will be complete install, you just need to remote desktop or something..

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, I didn't mean "instead of", because I hadn't considered that. Not sure if it would be more hassle to remote desktop in rather than configure Crashplan to run headless, but it would definitely be another option.

katit

Contributor
Given how much trouble I have connecting from Mac, changing ports, starting up channel, etc. If I went through the trouble of installing OS in VirtualBox - I would use Crashplan "as designed" and just remote desktop into there...

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I would use Crashplan "as designed" and just remote desktop into there...
The nice thing about doing this from a Mac is that the Screen Sharing app comes with OS X (it supports VNC so there's no need to install another remote desktop client). Just enable remote display in the VM's settings and click the link to connect.

katit

Contributor
I guess it's about "what you have already". For my work I routinely remote desktop or SSH into machines so for me it's very common and usual thing. Now that I think about it, it may be more reliable way than fixing crashplan in jail after each update. But what to run in VirtualBox? Windows7? Another license needed :( And also crashplan on windows is probably reliable and all, but how reliable is to share folders to VM windows on FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.