Viewing and playing local video files directly from FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitaldreams

Explorer
Hello. I was wondering if there is a way to watch local video files directly from my FreeNAS server on my TV. My server has a video DisplayPort output and I would connect directly to my TV. I'm trying to avoid streaming it because streaming 4k videos, even on my wired gig network, is stuttering. I've done some research and testing and found that mkv's play a lot nicer but I'm looking at all my options.

Thanks.

chris crude

Patron
How are you watching these videos on your tv? SMART tv? HTPC? PS4/XBOX? NEED more details, including your FreeNas hardware and version.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Aside from you not listing hardware specs, most of the 4K video streaming is going to be held by the processor. If you have an older or lower-end processor I would look into upgrading it and make sure you have at least the minimum 8GB of RAM required for FreeNAS. There's some documentation on good processors for 4K video streams. P.S A 1GbE setup should be fine for 4K video.

Digitaldreams

Explorer
Hi all. Thanks for the responses. I didn't list hardware specs because my question was really just to see if there was a way to play local files from the video out. I know the streaming issue is probably my RAM as I'm waiting for my order of 16 GB to come in. Currently I have 4 GB.

This is my server.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No video with FreeNAS. It serves files, something else needs to play them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

frank3151

Cadet
Dear Digitaldreams
May I know how is your prefer going, I am happened to be the same require as yours.
With a j4205-itx motherboard ,16G ram, HDMI(4096*1280), I would like to take it to be my FreeNAS server and direct play the video file to my projector through HDMI.
Anybody have any suggestion for the plugin on FreeNAS?
Thank you for the opinions .
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.