vdev size with 8 GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry

Cadet
I'd like to apologize in advance if this question has already been answered. I've searched and can't find a solid answer.

The minimum recommended RAM is 8 GB just to run FreeNAS. The strongly recommended rule is that you add 1 GB of RAM for each TB of storage.

I have come across an HP Proliant ML110 G5 who's motherboard can only handle 8 GB of RAM. Does that mean that I can not create a vdev to hold data of any size?

In short: What is the maximum size vdev you should create with 8 GB of RAM?

Thanks for your time.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Save yourself the trouble and headaches and get something a bit newer that will properly handle FreeNAS. If you absolutely have to use this server then you should consider an alternative OS. You're going to be hamstrung by DDR2 memory, a FSB and absolutely no upgrade path whatsoever.

Kerry

Cadet
Thanks; I figured as much and just needed someone else to tell me so. Nice avatar, BTW.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
:D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd add that 8GB is the minimum for a small server. It'll work for small pools, but performance may suck. Data should be safe as long as you don't overdo things.

Jailer's points are entirely valid, though.

Kerry

Cadet
Thanks guys.

I've noticed that in both your signature's you seem to have opted for more smaller drives, rather than fewer larger drives. I have bought two 6 TB WD Reds with hopes of mirroring them. Should I have gotten 6 x 2 TB or 4 x 4 TB instead?
Is it just that they have not been out as long as the smaller drives so we don't have much reliability data on them and/or weren't available when you built your systems?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks guys.

I've noticed that in both your signature's you seem to have opted for more smaller drives, rather than fewer larger drives. I have bought two 6 TB WD Reds with hopes of mirroring them. Should I have gotten 6 x 2 TB or 4 x 4 TB instead?
Is it just that they have not been out as long as the smaller drives so we don't have much reliability data on them and/or weren't available when you built your systems?
In my case, it was value per TB. 3TB drives were and still are the cheapest per TB.

RAIDZ2 also gives you an extra drive's worth of redundancy, which really helps reliability.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
In my case, it was value per TB. 3TB drives were and still are the cheapest per TB.

RAIDZ2 also gives you an extra drive's worth of redundancy, which really helps reliability.
Same reasoning here. I'll probably add 6 more and likely the same size as price is a factor. You go over 3TB and the price jumps don't justify the extra space.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I've still got an ML110 G5 in service as a home-use-only storage server; it's handling 4TB and works just fine serving photos and video to three people in the house, but it's not going to set any speed records and doesn't have a chance in hell of handling any server-side transcoding.

If you're getting it seriously cheap ($50) or free then go for it; otherwise, keep saving and get something newer and more flexible as others here have suggested.

Kerry

Cadet
You go over 3TB and the price jumps don't justify the extra space.
Not sure it will help you guys now, but Amazon has 4 TB WD Reds for $154.00. That's $1.13 cheaper per TB than the 3 TB brother. Maybe you got the 3 TBs for less than $118.89?

20150811 WD Red Pricing.jpg

If you're getting it seriously cheap ($50) or free then go for it;
Maybe I'll just play around with it for a bit and not put much on it. It has a few old 160 GB WDs in it.
I don't think it's worth using the 6 TB drives on it. I'll just get one of those nice new X10SDV-TLN4F boards and maybe some more drives and do a RAIDZ. :D

Thanks again guys.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Maybe I'll just play around with it for a bit and not put much on it. It has a few old 160 GB WDs in it.

"Playing around and learning" is also an excellent reason to have it, despite the weak specs. Enjoy!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
"Playing around and learning" is also an excellent reason to have it, despite the weak specs. Enjoy!
Yup. I learned on an old Core 2 duo machine before I set up my current rig and I'm glad I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.