Using TrueNAS as an NVR for Surveillance Cameras

Hello everyone,
Due to recent events I have felt the need to upgrade my home security system. I have been looking at POE cameras from Ubiquiti and Lorex, but for both systems I would need to pay a significant chunk of money for a Network Video Recorder (NVR). It seems to me there must be a way to cut out the cost of that NVR and use my TrueNAS server to do that job. Does anyone know how to do this?

Jail (Core) or App (SCALE) with Zoneminder, and preferably a simple dedicated pool comprised of a 2-drive mirror vdev of WD Purple drives or Seagate's equivalent drives ("Skyhawk") that are designed for continuous writing.

I believe compatibility-wise, you'll have better luck with Lorex.

But I can't speak from experience, so hopefully someone here has actually set up a working DVR/NVR with TrueNAS and their own IP cameras.

Jail (Core) or App (SCALE) with Zoneminder, and preferably a simple dedicated pool comprised of a 2-drive mirror vdev of WD Purple drives or Seagate's equivalent drives ("Skyhawk") that are designed for continuous writing.

I believe compatibility-wise, you'll have better luck with Lorex.

But I can't speak from experience, so hopefully someone here has actually set up a working DVR/NVR with TrueNAS and their own IP cameras.
can you watch the live feed and record audio with zoneminder? I am assuming that it doesn't support camera lights or sirens or 2 way audio, which I kind of assumed going into this that without buying the proprietary hardware I'd lose some of that function, but a huge part of the reason I am doing this is to be able to throw the live feeds up on my third monitor.

Edit: also I wanted to add that I am not set on any specific camera, if people would like to recommend different ones that they know work.

as for the drives, my plan was to use my current pool, 2 vdevs RaidZ2 with 8 drives per. I was going to just set up a data set and (possibly) SMB share for cameras. I'm using enterprise grade 1tb drives, so I am not super worried about decreasing their logevity by continuous writes, and I'm also hoping to set up that the camera's only record for motion events. the main problem with a dedicated pool for me is that my server only takes 2.5 inch drives, which limits the capacity of the individual drives to like 2-3 tb. a simple mirror will severely hurt capacity.