Using static IP disables Plugins/Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad1966

Dabbler
Please help.

I'm using FreeNAS-9.2.0-ALPHA-01cf275-x64. I decided to switch from using DHCP and assigned a static IP address to my FreeNAS box, since almost every time I rebooted the server, the IP would change and it was driving me nuts - I don't keep the server on constantly.

Anyway, I had Plex set up running perfectly, but whenever I enable use of a static IP, all of the standard installable Plugin options disappear from the Plugins section, and when I go to Plugins > Installed, I see the following (see attached images):

As you can probably guess, I'm not a networking guru. Please help me me get Plex/Plugins working w/a static IP.

Thanks! Image 001.jpg Image 002.jpg Image 003.jpg

Whattteva

Wizard
Make sure you also specify default gateway and DNS servers in addition to the static IP address.
Also, if your router supports it, you can set up static DHCP for the FreeNAS box.

vlad1966

Dabbler
Thanks - Adding default gateway & DNS server, then re-installing Plex seemed to work.
In my Apple Airport Extreme router, I also changed the DHCP lease from 24 hours to 365 Days.
I didn't see any place to add static DHCP for specific PC's in any of the configuration options.

Thanks again - I've got Plex back!!!:)

Whattteva

Wizard
Congrats! Glad you got it to work pretty easily.

mcolinp

Explorer
So it would seem that this same issue has plagued me for quite some time. I also made my System fixed to a iPv4 IP address so that it would not jump around whenever it rebooted. I am honest enough to admit that I do not know that much about networking protocols.

Before plugins were built-in with the existing repository; I had already nailed down my FreeNAS system to be accessed on 192.168.1.150: well above the default addresses given to devices by default via the router. So when the new plugin features were added; I was very excited: only to be disappointed when there were no plugins listed as available on my system. At first I thought it was a bug; and there were reports of issues regarding 64bit; so I was patient and waited for an update. Well; I lost track of how many updates I went through; but none resulted in any plugins showing up from the repository. (Currently @ version 9.1.1)

So I came across this thread and realized that this is very likely my same dilemma. The only thing is, I really don't know what is appropriate to put for the default gateway, or default route. Can anyone please help me to make sure I set these up correctly?

FYI: when setting up my box initially, (connected to a monitor and keyboard; *not GUI); I chose option 1: to configure the default network interface. I chose to setup iPv4; and entered: 192.168.1.150/24 when prompted by the command line.

Thanks in advance. :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Your default gateway would be your router's internal IP address. Probably 192.168.1.1

mcolinp

Explorer
THANK YOU Pirateghost!!!

That fixed it. My blood pressure has resumed to an acceptable level. This info may be worth including in the setup procedure; as I can only imagine others suffering the same issue. (I followed the setup guide to create the iPv4 entry; though there was nothing mentioned (that I recall) regarding the default gateway being your router's IP address.

At any rate I am very happy to have plugins available. I hope others find this fix as well.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I followed the setup guide to create the iPv4 entry; though there was nothing mentioned (that I recall) regarding the default gateway being your router's IP address.

That is because that is networking-101. That's how networks go from one intranet to the internet. It's not limited to FreeBSD, FreeNAS, or your Plex plugin. It's how IP traffic works.

mcolinp

Explorer
Fair enough.

When I built my system it originally was mainly to be a way to share files locally between multiple computers/devices. It came together quite well; and as I followed the new features as they were released; I took interest in the plugin features. I have done my fair share of Unix command line activity; though as I earlier admitted, I am not a networking expert.

It would seem to me that you could likely avoid many frustrated forum posts if two sections of the "Initial Setup" were a little more clear to new users. Initial Setup being the 1-11 options after initial installation.

Option (1) should be emphasised as the option which allows a user to define their own desired IP; (though also clarified that it is not the same as a fixed IP through the router or ISP).

Image example 2.5a is very helpful; but lacks some clarity as to what is a fixed value, and what is user defined. A line by line definition of each shown value would eliminate a plethora of unknowns to users like myself.

I hope I don't come across as snide or otherwise; but really want to contribute feedback that would help others.

Thanks for all the help. :)

platinumjsi

Dabbler
Bump as I am having a simalar issue, all was fine, changed the FreeNAS box to a static IP and now my devices cant find / see the Plex server as offline.
I have tried setting static IP's and DHCP for the Plex jail with no luck.
Is there something I have missed, I wouldnt have thought changing from DHCP to static IP on the OS would affect the Jails as they get there own IP's?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You must have done it wrong. If you want help you need to supply your hardware, freenas version and how you have everything configured. Include gateway, subnet and router configuration.

platinumjsi

Dabbler
Version 9.3, local network is 10.0.1.x Freenas is on 10.0.1.10 and I have set Plex to 10.0.1.7, subnet is 255.255.255.0, router is a Apple Airport Extreme.

Kris Kizlyk

Cadet
So yesterday I was having this same issue; however after some google searching, what worked for me was changing the nameserver (DNS) to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4...but WHY!!! My routers Gateway and DNS is 10.1.191.254 and 172.16.6.1 respectivly.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So yesterday I was having this same issue; however after some google searching, what worked for me was changing the nameserver (DNS) to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4...but WHY!!! My routers Gateway and DNS is 10.1.191.254 and 172.16.6.1 respectivly.
Because your router isn't handing out dhcp correctly.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
This thread is 3 years old and has 3 different networking issues. Time to delete my post and lock this?

Status
Not open for further replies.