Used Dell PowerEdge For FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Judging by what look like 1GB RDIMMs, it's not worth it, except for the chassis, fans and PSU.

Power consumption would be crazy, performance would suck with just 8GB of RAM (and two CPUs sharing a FSB) and more RAM for that thing would cost more than a new server. SAS controller is useless for FreeNAS, too.

I have some experience with that hardware and concur with Eric; Uses too much power. and, contrary to the main description on the add, I've never seen a 2950 with 2.5" disks. Somewhere else in the add it says 6x3.5" which is true and, for a FreeNAS system, a bit sad. Actually, for any storage, as a matter of fact.

8 GB is also the bare minimum in terms of RAM, so... Just think again.

As paradoxal as it might sound, a PE2900 will accept more ram, have at least 8 disk bays (up to 10 with with the flexbay thing), but uses pretty much the same power. It is about 400W, continuous.

If you are REALLY going for those, make sure they are Generation 3 (Gen 3, or Gen III). You chance of getting a 2 x quad core processor is better, and this is especially good if you will play with compression, which I recommend.

Now, if you have the choice, go T610, rack mount. 8 disk bays as well, but HALF of the power consumption.

Unlike what Eric said, it is not that the SAS controller is useless. You need the SAS controller, and it will even control SAS and SATA disks (don't mix them, though). The RAID controller is not recommended. (I am pretty much this is what he meant) . Indeed, in order to play right with ZFS, and use the most from its features, do NOT use the RAID controller in RAID mode. The lazy man option (mine) is creating 8 volumes, one for each disk, and let FreeNAS/ZFS handle them in a RAIDZ2 set. There are pros and cons to that. I'll let you browse the forums about this topic.

When it comes to Dell, you usually do not have the option of using the PERC in JBOD mode. Older Dell-branded controllers normally won't have it. PERC 5 and 6 are two of those. Newer controllers may include JBOD. Do you homework before buying, but, for a learning system, it may not make too much of a difference.

Remember: RAID5 is dead. If you care about your data, go RAID6 (RAIDZ2) or better. Now, the good thing is, those servers usually come equipped with ECC RAM. At least you won't have to worry about that.

Just to give you some background; I am not "just saying" these things. I am actually decommissioning 7 PE2950 with that very same config, because they cannot handle enough memory or disks. Not to mention that I can power 2 R710s with the power used by one PE2950.

Again, unless this is a box for learning the stuff, and ultimately you are not going to pay the utility bill, I'd go fo something else.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have some experience with that hardware and concur with Eric; Uses too much power. and, contrary to the main description on the add, I've never seen a 2950 with 2.5" disks. Somewhere else in the add it says 6x3.5" which is true and, for a FreeNAS system, a bit sad. Actually, for any storage, as a matter of fact.

8 GB is also the bare minimum in terms of RAM, so... Just think again.

As paradoxal as it might sound, a PE2900 will accept more ram, have at least 8 disk bays (up to 10 with with the flexbay thing), but uses pretty much the same power. It is about 400W, continuous.

If you are REALLY going for those, make sure they are Generation 3 (Gen 3, or Gen III). You chance of getting a 2 x quad core processor is better, and this is especially good if you will play with compression, which I recommend.

Now, if you have the choice, go T610, rack mount. 8 disk bays as well, but HALF of the power consumption.

Unlike what Eric said, it is not that the SAS controller is useless. You need the SAS controller, and it will even control SAS and SATA disks (don't mix them, though). The RAID controller is not recommended. (I am pretty much this is what he meant) . Indeed, in order to play right with ZFS, and use the most from its features, do NOT use the RAID controller in RAID mode. The lazy man option (mine) is creating 8 volumes, one for each disk, and let FreeNAS/ZFS handle them in a RAIDZ2 set. There are pros and cons to that. I'll let you browse the forums about this topic.

When it comes to Dell, you usually do not have the option of using the PERC in JBOD mode. Older Dell-branded controllers normally won't have it. PERC 5 and 6 are two of those. Newer controllers may include JBOD. Do you homework before buying, but, for a learning system, it may not make too much of a difference.

Remember: RAID5 is dead. If you care about your data, go RAID6 (RAIDZ2) or better. Now, the good thing is, those servers usually come equipped with ECC RAM. At least you won't have to worry about that.

Just to give you some background; I am not "just saying" these things. I am actually decommissioning 7 PE2950 with that very same config, because they cannot handle enough memory or disks. Not to mention that I can power 2 R710s with the power used by one PE2950.

Again, unless this is a box for learning the stuff, and ultimately you are not going to pay the utility bill, I'd go fo something else.

Indeed, I meant that the specific SAS controller installed in the server is useless.

marbus90

Guru
A better box would be this one, just add RAM:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151608402237

- 2x proper CPUs without slow FSB and energy-consuming DDR2 FBDIMMs
- LSI HBA included
- Supermicro chassis with hotswap and redundant PSUs included
- Supermicro IPMI on there

For a home FreeNAS box it's best to remove the CPU2 and use 3x16GB DIMMs from Supermicros Tested Memory list, preferably Samsung. With these 48GB you should be able to get quite far in terms of HDD count and pool size. For a start the included 16GB aren't bad either.

At only 12-14x3.5"/25x2.5" bays the HP DL180 G6 together with a HP H221 / LSI 9211-4i4e HBA would be a good idea. mind you, they're usually going for the same price.

Baldrick

Cadet
Thanks all. I knew it was too good to be true. I also wasn't even thinking about power consumption.

I was hoping though. For $61, it sounded cool.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Z300M

Guru
Why not the same thing but more RAM? Sure power consumption is still an issue (around 300 watts from what I've read) and you'll need to flash the Perc 6i with LSI firmware but otherwise it seems like a great option for under $300...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerE...733?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e2e23f6d
Although under "Item Condition" it shows “Purchase With Confidence - Just Add Your Own Hard Drives Or Purchase Them From Us!” the 5th picture from the left shows four empty RAM slots.
The more detailed description further down the page says that the memory capacity is 32GB but doesn't make clear how much RAM is actually in the unit being offered.

JStarcher

Cadet
Although under "Item Condition" it shows “Purchase With Confidence - Just Add Your Own Hard Drives Or Purchase Them From Us!” the 5th picture from the left shows four empty RAM slots.
The more detailed description further down the page says that the memory capacity is 32GB but doesn't make clear how much RAM is actually in the unit being offered.

Good attention to detail. In the listing though they state "The pictures in this listing are stock photos." and mention 3 times in the description that it's 32gb installed. I'll know for sure in a few days ;)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Which Lenovo?
The TS140 and TS440 are Lenovo ThinkServers, which are available on Amazon at very attractive prices if your FreeNAS needs are fairly modest.

Status
Not open for further replies.