USB Boot environment degraded- FreeNAS doesn't recognise replacement USB stick??

blurtyblur

Cadet
Hi, I've been using Freenas happily for about 3 years, no issues - and think this is my first post...
In short, one of my 2 USB sticks for the boot mirror failed, so the boot pool has been reporting as degraded. I identified the failed stick following suggestion elsewhere in the forum (pulled one out, and happily it booted still). I then went to replace the failed drive using the "replace" command in the boot environment. However, the new USB stick doesn't seem to show up.
When I click on "replace" it shows "Member disk" and a drop down - which I suppose *should* give me the option of the new USB. It's empty though. What, if anything, do I have to do so that the new USB shows up? I cannot find it listed under "Disks" in the `Storage' tab - which is where the old failed da9 USB was.

I'm running 11.2 U8 on a Supermicro server with Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz (16 cores) and 8 HDDs.

I'll be really grateful for any advice on how to replace the failed USB. thanks so much
Andrew

Consumer USB flash drives are not recommend for a boot-pool, even in a mirror.

1. Backup your config
2. Install proper media
- SSD
- HD
- SATA DOM
- SSD/HD in USB enclosure as a last resort
3. Install FreeNAS from scratch on proper media
4. Restore config

blurtyblur

Cadet
Consumer USB flash drives are not recommend for a boot-pool, even in a mirror.

1. Backup your config
2. Install proper media
- SSD
- HD
- SATA DOM
- SSD/HD in USB enclosure as a last resort
3. Install FreeNAS from scratch on proper media
4. Restore config
Thanks. Wasn’t aware of that - think that USB flash was included as a recommendation when I first set up the system, tho that’s a while back. Will have a go!