UPS Svc with APC Back UPS Pro 1000 low battery level

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick779

Contributor
Hi everyone,

I just got my new UPS and ive been reading all of the manual pages for setting up NUT and configuring the UPS service. So far it looks like my best bet for this UPS is going to be USBHID-UPS. I was considering just using a timer, but if the power flickers off for 5 minutes, comes back and immediately goes back out id assume that the timer would reset and may cause some problems with reliably shutting down. Id like to use the shutdown on low battery setting, however after reading that low is set at 10% by default I want to raise it a bit to say, 30%. Ive seen that you need to change the "battery.charge.low" field, but didnt see a straight forward way of doing it or a guide.

This thread has a bit of information about what needs done, but wasnt sure exactly how to implement it. I also have seen that making the config changes in FreeNAS stick through reboots requires additional steps as well.
"ignorelb
Optional. When you specify this, the driver ignores a low battery condition flag that is reported by the UPS (some devices will switch off almost immediately after setting this flag, or will report this as soons as the mains fails). Instead it will use either of the following conditions to determine when the battery is low:
battery.charge < battery.charge.low
battery.runtime < battery.runtime.low

The idea is to set the battery.charge.low and/or battery.runtime.low levels in ups.conf to a value that gives enough time to cleanly shutdown your system:
override.battery.charge.low = 30
override.battery.runtime.low = 180

In order for this to work, your UPS should be able to (reliably) report charge and/or runtime remaining on battery. Use with caution!

Source: http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/ups.conf.html
"

I think Both the low runtime and the low charge parameters would be good to modify for what im looking for.
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to add this parameter change?

Last edited:

ian351c

Patron
When you configure the UPS Service, there's a field called "Auxiliary parameters (ups.conf):". That's where you would put ignorelb, override.battery.charge.low = 30, override.battery.runtime.low = 180, etc.

nick779

Contributor
When you configure the UPS Service, there's a field called "Auxiliary parameters (ups.conf):". That's where you would put ignorelb, override.battery.charge.low = 30, override.battery.runtime.low = 180, etc.

I had a response typed out an hour ago, but apparently forgot to post it.

I added the override.battery.charge.low = 30, and was going to add the runtime too. Do I need the ignorelb argument? When I run the upsc ups@localhost command it does report the changed low battery %.

Edit, you do need the ignorelb argument.

I went with
ignorelb
override.battery.runtime.low = 600
override.battery.charge.low = 35
pollinterval = 10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.