UPS Management in Jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardy118

Cadet
Hi all,

First off, I apologise if this is in the wrong section, I have many questions about this, so I don't know if this is in the best place.

Anyway - I recently purchased a new UPS, I had an old APC one that died, so now I have a CyberPower one - less power, but more suitable to my needs.

So FreeNAS UPS services are set up fine, but there is a management piece of software available, written in Java and has a GUI. I first thought of installing this in a jail, as I didn't realise it was GUI-based until about halfway through :facepalm:. So after a long time of trying to install java in the jail and getting nowhere, I remembered that the virtualbox template exists in the jail section, so I tried that.

I eventually managed to get an old version of ubuntu running, and installed the software, but had no way of obviously connecting the USB of the host to the ubuntu vm.

So, VMs are clunky and seems totally overkill just so I can remotely manage the UPS through the software. I feel like i'm going about this the wrong way, and there should be an easier way of getting this working.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.