UPS for FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaniel

Explorer
I would like to ask, what UPS should I get with my system. As I'm atm copying my first critical files over to the NAS, the only protection I'm in is a surge protection socket (by Eaton I think). Aaand a storm started just outside. So I was thinking about getting some kind of UPS

I was thinking about: http://www.allnet-italia.it/sito/ItemsDownloads/ART-74400_EN.pdf - the 850VA version, which costs about 50 EUR

Anybody has some experience with Eatons? Do they work well?

Another option would be maybe CyberPower Value 600ELCD (http://www.cyberpower-eu.com/products/ups_systems/value_soho/value600elcd.htm)

I want to be able to connect the UPS with my setup, be able to turn off the bloody beeping without having to rip it out (as my GF would moooost probbably kill me after a blackout during the night) and don't spend another 200EUR on this solution. I can get my hands also on an APC product.

What could happen the worst in an ungraceful shutdown of FreeNAS via an outage? (in case the box wouldn't by fried by a lightning strike)?

nojohnny101

Wizard
I just went through this process, I'm buying a UPS and a good night of research. Basically it comes down to ask yourself a couple questions:

1) how reliable is the power in your area as far as blackouts and brownouts?
- this will help determine the size you need and how long you want the UPS to power your FreeNAS box. If your power rarely goes out and when it does go out, only goes out for a few minutes, and the location where you live does not get extreme weather that would also cause power outages, and you can probably get by with a smaller battery.

2) how critical is it that you're NAS stays on when power goes off?
- this will also help determine how big the battery should be inside of the UPS. If it is really not critical that your NAS stays up all the time, then just get a UPS that has a large enough battery to last maybe 15 minutes, so if power comes in and quickly comes back, the box will stay on. If it stays off for longer than say 10 minutes, it will shut down your NAS.

I ended up going with an APC BR1000G. I probably could've went with the smaller size, but this one will keep my box running for about 40 minutes before the batteries depleted. I also went with this one because of the recommendations from some of the veterans on here. APC is a reputable brand and interfaces with FreeNAS easily.

Archaniel

Explorer
well it's simple answers
1) Quite reliable (I remember 1 outage in the past 1 year in current apt, and my "soon-to-be-finished" own apt will be in the center of a business area
2) Zero. I just want to gracefully shutdown the host and send me an e-mail (my router would be connected to the UPS and I have FTTH with the routers also being on an UPS I think, so it might work)

In my country we do have similar models like yours, it's called APC Back-UPS PRO and the BR550GI costs ~130EUR, which is a bit higher than my budget. But the display is nice.

I have the option to get "BX700UI" - 700VA / 390W - is that enough to sustain my freenas for ~5 minutes for a graceful shutdown?

How much is the consumption of your model? I don't want to be wasting 100W just to keep the battery loaded with juice :/

nojohnny101

Wizard
I have 2 UPS. I have identical APCs on my main FreeNAS box and one on my backup box. Obviously you know power consumption is determined by a lot of factors but I went ahead and unplugged all other things from both so I could get watt readings on both for you (see signature for build details)

Main box: 60w with no load (only increases maybe 2-3w under load. The UPS says it could get approximately 70 minutes of runtime at 60w.

Backup box: 35w with no load. Says it will get close to 100 minutes.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

Archaniel

Explorer
Well just to revive this thread. Today I've bought a UPS.

The winner is CyberPower 1500PFCLCD, which was the third one ordered. My experience:

2nd runner-up: Eaton Ellipse PRO 650 IEC: Wanted to get it due rack-mount conversion, though: I was unable to find rack mount kits in my area, as the product is discontinued, Replacement batteries are nonexistent stock, Software was not included on a CD but rather available for a download AFTER a really difficult registration, website of Eaton is from middle ages. I didn't even try it out. UPS got packed and refunded

1st runner-up: APC Back-UPS Pro 1200: Website OK, CD available, Software also as anonymous download. Everything was fine, then I realized it has a simulated sine-wave output from battery, which is a no-go with any of my PFC PSUs (server, or PC). Refunded

Winner: CyberPower 1500PFCLCD: True Sine wave output, Front USB, very positive reviews also here on the forums, USB, RS232, GBIT Ethernet protection.

So GUSY, just a hint:
if you wanna back your freenas,
don't be 'fraid to spend some dollaz,
Even if you APC,
Sine wave hits your PFC!

Archaniel

Explorer
oh yeah and my avg consumption of the box is ~38W ... I hit 55 when Plex was transcoding 1080p.

mattbbpl

Patron
Well just to revive this thread. Today I've bought a UPS.

The winner is CyberPower 1500PFCLCD, which was the third one ordered. My experience:

2nd runner-up: Eaton Ellipse PRO 650 IEC: Wanted to get it due rack-mount conversion, though: I was unable to find rack mount kits in my area, as the product is discontinued, Replacement batteries are nonexistent stock, Software was not included on a CD but rather available for a download AFTER a really difficult registration, website of Eaton is from middle ages. I didn't even try it out. UPS got packed and refunded

1st runner-up: APC Back-UPS Pro 1200: Website OK, CD available, Software also as anonymous download. Everything was fine, then I realized it has a simulated sine-wave output from battery, which is a no-go with any of my PFC PSUs (server, or PC). Refunded

Winner: CyberPower 1500PFCLCD: True Sine wave output, Front USB, very positive reviews also here on the forums, USB, RS232, GBIT Ethernet protection.

So GUSY, just a hint:
if you wanna back your FreeNAS,
don't be 'fraid to spend some dollaz,
Even if you APC,
Sine wave hits your PFC!
I went through the same though process on mine (and ended up with the exact same model). APC and Eaton are good brands as well from what I understand from others on this board, but I went with the CyberPower for the true sine wave output and verified NUT support. I've been very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.