Upgrading Older (9.1.1 & other) Versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Ferraguto

Dabbler
Over the past four-plus years, I've built several NAS boxes but because of hardware or other reasons, was only able to get the USB installation to work by using older versions of FreeNAS. The latest versions would never proceed with the install. But the older FreeNAS versions, particularly 9.2.1.8, worked fine for me.

However, today, I can't seem to find any links to the older versions. If those pages exist anymore on this website, they aren't easy to find. Is that by design?

Anyway, I seem to be fine with my 9.2.1.8 FreeNAS boxes, but not with a box that uses the 9.1.1 release. On that 9.1.1 box, I filled up my ZFS pool to over 88% and, when I recently began moving files off of it onto a new FreeNAS box, the "available space" under the STORAGE tab is not seeing the space opened up. I've moved at least a couple of terabytes off that box, but instead of the percentage of available space expanding, it is decreasing. Now it's showing 99% full. I feel in danger of losing some important data and, although the Volume status shows up as HEALTHY, I don't want to risk it.

So I want to upgrade my 9.1.1 box. In the older documentation (and from what I can recall based on prior upgrades to other boxes), I was able to do the upgrade via the graphical UI and using the .txz file. But I can't seem to find links to any .txz files, or to versions prior to the latest stable 9.10.

In FreeNAS 9.1.1, there is no "upgrade" option under the System tab, and I don't have a CD-ROM drive in the box so I can't do the upgrade via the ISO image.

Any help, especially links to older versions, or insights into my particular situation and how best to proceed, would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

gpsguy

You can still download older versions of FreeNAS using this URL: http://download.freenas.org/

If you need older versions (pre 9.3) of the corresponding documentation, you can find them at: http://doc.freenas.org/

For FreeNAS 9.3 and later, if you'd like a PDF or ePub version of the doc's, you can download one, via a link in my signature.

However, today, I can't seem to find any links to the older versions. If those pages exist anymore on this website, they aren't easy to find. Is that by design?

As Pheran said, I'd check to see if you have snapshots configured on your 9.1.1 box. Get it stable, before upgrading. Even then, go slowly. Maybe upgrade from 9.1.1 to 9.2.0 -> 9.2.1.? (up to 9.2.1.9). As you might remember, there were a lot of changes in the 9.2.1.x series.

The jump to 9.3 was a big one, in that it only supported 64 bit systems and support for UFS was dropped.

Version 9.10 is based on FreeBSD 10.3 and other changes came along with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.