Upgrading a zfs pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
I am running FreeNAS 9.3 and have an existing mirrored volume or pool of x2 disks.

I have been getting this warning for a while but have just ignored it until now:
WARNING: New feature flags are available for volume Backup_Data. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" section of the User Guide for instructions.

So I get the 9.3 documents up in my web browser and input "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" in the search box. Nothing found, so I trawl through the 'Storage' section, but can;t see anything relating to the said warning.

Could someone narrow it down or point me in a more accurate direction.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks, and was simple to do.

I started at section 8.1 Volumes and worked my way down as it were.
I was miles away from where I should have been then.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. I've had problems searching our new html-based documentation too. Even when I had a perfect phrase I'd get no results or useless results.

I miss the PDF since that uses the PDF's search engine which usually works. :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. if <insert random user> can get github to work.. and we know how well that went when you and I looked at it in Oct/Nov. ;)

diskdiddler

Wizard
What are the actual advantages of upgrading the pool? Is it backend stuff the OS uses for performance which an end user won't notice, or literally new features / functionality?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What are the actual advantages of upgrading the pool? Is it backend stuff the OS uses for performance which an end user won't notice, or literally new features / functionality?

That depends. What you have to do is find out what flags would be enabled, then research those flags to find out what the benefit is (if any). Some do nothing at all but set the stage for future features. ;)

diskdiddler

Wizard
Would I be right in speculating, eventually a version of FreeNAS will come out which will either force the update of the pool or do it for you? Surely said features will be used as default as part of the OS?
(I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, I really don't mind upgrading mine after a couple of weeks with 9.3)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Would I be right in speculating, eventually a version of FreeNAS will come out which will either force the update of the pool or do it for you? Surely said features will be used as default as part of the OS?
(I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, I really don't mind upgrading mine after a couple of weeks with 9.3)

Nope. It will never be forced because it removes your ability to go to an older version.

Osiris

Contributor
It seems the manual section on 'upgrading a zfs pool' isn't up yet for Freenas 11.
I'm getting this warning after the move from 9.10 to 11.
  • WARNING: May 15, 2017, 1:12 a.m. - New feature flags are available for volume [yourvolume]. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" section of the User Guide for instructions.
Anything known on this?

Stux

MVP

jlentz3

Dabbler
Why can't I find this in the Guide though. The message says thats where to find it. Is there just a permanently broken search function on the Online documentation?

Bhoot

Patron
Might be a nerco'd topic but I realized people are having issues with the guide. Thought I'll just put where the guide is for everyone. :)

Attachments

• guide.png
    guide.png
    180 KB · Views: 1,096
Status
Not open for further replies.