upgrade to 8.01 RELEASE and cant import zfs-z2 raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mugen

Cadet
I know enough to set it up but dont know how to fix it when it goes wrong.

Cut long story short. I had Freenas 8.0 Betas installed with 4disk ZFS-Z2 and it was working all fine with backup config file.

Installed 8.0.1 RELEASE and restored with config file, got the "Error getting available space" and "Error getting total space" in the View all Volume.

Stupid me created a new pool and now i have two pools under the name ZFSRAID5.

Factory reset and went to shell to import manually by ID and cant seem to import, i get the errror "one or more devices is currently available".

I have noticed that one of the disk is called ada1p2 while the other 3 have this long name. see image below.

3.JPG

I have been at it for 1 month now with googling and searching all the forums and website and coudlnt find anything.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any idea how to fix this problem.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Mugen,

You only need to post your question once.

Why did you upgrade to 8.01 and not 8.02?

I think that should be your first step.

Did you change any hardware/disk controller?

Trying to import from the command line is ok for testing / getting more details, but you need to have a mountpoint (directory) created or it will fail (not why yours is failing now though), and if it's not imported using the GUI it won't appear next time you boot.

How did you do your upgrade? with the GUI or booting from an 8.01 CD and choosing upgrade? This is the recommended method in the release notes.

Try creating an 8.02 CD and boot from it and choose upgrade with your flash drive inserted. If you upgrade and then restore your settings you'll have problems.

Hope that helps you get back on track. I'm glad you spent some time trying to figure it out on your own, but don't be afraid to ask for help sooner next time.

mugen

Cadet
Hi Mugen,

You only need to post your question once. Sorry, wasn't sure which forum category it belonged to.

Why did you upgrade to 8.01 and not 8.02? i upgraded to 8.02 last night and same issue

I think that should be your first step.

Did you change any hardware/disk controller? nope, using standard motherboard (gigabyte ga-g31-es2l) controller

Trying to import from the command line is ok for testing / getting more details, but you need to have a mountpoint (directory) created or it will fail (not why yours is failing now though), and if it's not imported using the GUI it won't appear next time you boot.

How did you do your upgrade? with the GUI or booting from an 8.01 CD and choosing CD clean install each time on flash memory and restore with config file. (this is the process ive been using with all the beta releases and it has worked fine)upgrade? This is the recommended method in the release notes.

Try creating an 8.02 CD and boot from it and choose upgrade with your flash drive inserted. If you upgrade and then restore your settings you'll have problems.

Hope that helps you get back on track. I'm glad you spent some time trying to figure it out on your own, but don't be afraid to ask for help sooner next time.

Thanks for the reply Protosd, What do you suggest i should do? im really stuck.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks for the reply Protosd, What do you suggest i should do? im really stuck.

It almost looks like it's already imported/online, it could just be a database thing. Can you post the output from 'df'?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Mugen,

I've got a lot going on too, so no worries about being busy. I'll see how far I can help, but if anyone else wants to help please jump in.

The df looks fine.

Installed 8.0.1 RELEASE and restored with config file, got the "Error getting available space" and "Error getting total space" in the View all Volume.

This is usually a database being out of sync with reality issue.

I have noticed that one of the disk is called ada1p2 while the other 3 have this long name. see image below.

This is nothing to worry about, completely normal.

I noticed on your screenshot you tried to import your pool with a long number that looks like it began with '6', but the zpool status showed the pool ID was 02333...., that should be the number you use. That's why you were getting one or more devices are unavailable. Where did the 699... number come from?

Stupid me created a new pool and now i have two pools under the name ZFSRAID5

This could be the nail in the coffin.... I'm not sure if you overwrote your original pool. I didn't catch this the first time I looked at your screenshot. At this point I'm not really sure what to suggest now. Maybe William, one of the developers will see this post and have an idea...

Oh, and those ZFS warnings you posted don't look too good either, did you check your cabling?

William, are you around? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.